Linux Installation

dakingsella

Reaction score
Credits
I have a HP computer that I am trying to install Linux on. I have downloaded a distro to a thumb drive, but not sure how to make the computer recognize it and install it on the hard drive. Are there any good sources of instructions on how to accomplish this?

I'm a retired technology manager, so not totally unfamiliar with computers, but have been away from them for a few years and trying to jump back in.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Dave

1st thing to do is to download etcher and create bootable usb media.

Once that is done plug the usb in and restart your computer while holding down the ESC key which should bring up a boot menu.

From the boot menu choose usb device and then press enter and wait for the computer to boot to the Linux distro.

Hi Dave,

If you haven't made an install usb, you can do so using the install iso and a program like Rufus or BalenaEtcher. Make sure you have free partition space if you're dual-booting, and enter the BIOS boot select page for your computer, and select the usb. That should get you into your distro's install menu.

What Linux distro did you download.
I have downloaded both Debian and ubuntu. Not sure which to use so I thought I would experiment with a couple of different ones. Ultimately what I want is a Linux server configuration.

I downloaded to a USB but having trouble making it bootable.

Have you created a bootable usb yet or did you only copy the iso to the usb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you created a bootable usb yet or did you only copy the iso to the usb.
I think I just created a bootable USB. I haven't tried it yet. I used Rufus to create it; it seemed to work and I looked at the directory on the USB and it looks correct. I will probably wait until in the morning to try to boot it. I'll post another response when I am successful.

I have downloaded a distro to a thumb drive, but not sure how to make the computer recognize
you will need to enter the boot menu to make sure its set to USB on first boot...
how you enter the BIOS on an HP varies between models and age there is no universal key, so I cant give a definitive answer unless you tell us the full model name and number

Thanks for all of the comments, I have installed my Linux machine and in the process of setting up my server. Still lots of work to do

Latest posts