Linux is Awesome! Newb Perspective

DreamyAbaddon

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone!
I wanted to give you my perspective on Linux as a non-techsavy user.

The distro I've used are: ElementaryOS, DeepinOS, PopOS and Ubuntu.
My favorite has to be ElementaryOS which is my first distro and I used it for 3 years now.
I'm still a Linux newb despite the 3 years experience on ElementaryOS.

The thing I love about Linux is how simple it is compared to both Windows10 and MacOS.
I even had my mom, grandma, uncle, brother and friends who are non-techsavy PC users to try out Linux through ElementaryOS and Deepin and they all agreed that Linux is easier to use for them and getting things done is a lot more simple than Windows and Mac.

Simplicity from downloading applications using the AppCenter, creating application shortcuts using the application doc, organizing your files through the file manager with tabs, to watching videos, writing docs, making spreadsheets, to playing simple games on Steam. The user experience is out of this world and the best part is you don't have to use the terminal to get things done. Linux has the most user-friendly Graphical User Interface that puts Microsoft and Apple to shame and this makes me very excited for the future of the open-source free OS.

I love how the updates are not forced like Windows and how you don't have to worry about your applications breaking from unwanted updates. I love how it puts users back in control of their computers. I can understand now why people love Linux.

I am a simple guy and I enjoy using simple interface and having useful functionality. I also love how light-weight Linux is because it means my hardware will put more focus on its resources for the applications instead. Windows and MacOS takes up a lot of background processing sadly.

I intend to show more of my friends and family this wonderful, user-friendly experience Linux offers.
The great thing about Linux is how there is a distro for everyone: From simple, non-techsavy users who need to be productive and want to have fun playing games and watching movies, to advanced, tech savy users who want full control of everything their computer has to offer. There are many options out there which truly makes Linux amazing and the helpful community online makes it even that much better.

I can't wait to introduce Linux to more people as I believe this approach to user-friendliness to non-tech-savvy users is the best approach for mass adoption going forward into the future.

Thank you for having me.
I look forward to be a part of this community.
Screenshot from 2019-05-13 01-24-18.png
Screenshot from 2019-05-13 01-22-42.png

Last edited:

Yes, Linux is awsome
Because you are able to install and de install everything on your system.
Not like in windoze where you for example can not remove the update installer.

Yes, Linux is awsome
Because you are able to install and de install everything on your system.
Not like in windoze where you for example can not remove the update installer.

This is true but most non-tech-savy users may not care for this.
What most non-tech savy people want is a simple, user friendly interface that can get work done and Linux actually does have distros for users like us and the crazy thing is, Linux does a better job than Windows and MacOS when it comes to this department.

G'day Dreamy, and Welcome to linux.org

That would have to be the best thought out perspectives on the attributes of Linux I have read in a long time.

You are more than welcome here.

Members may well learn quite a bit from you.

G'day Dreamy from another Aussie and welcome, likewise :)

I echo the sentiments of my Mate Brian (@Condobloke ) and @Peer above.

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

I run about 90 Linux, so you might say I am a fan :D:confused:

I know you won't mind, but I am moving this to Member Introductions, because it is one of our finer "Hello's, IMO

There, you might meet a few more of The Gang.

We look forward to sharing your Linux travels with us.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you for the warm welcome.
I updated my 3 year old ElementaryOS to Elementary Juno and I like the new features.
This OS is really great for casual users. I was tempted to try the latest DeepIn build but change is hard sometimes when you're so used to one distro at least for me. lol
I like the Pantheon environment even though I know it lacks a lot of customization features but I just like the GUI workflow. Ya know?

There's something for everybody in Linux :)

I have Juno in my stable, too, and quite like it. I have been with them since Freya.

Just a heads up - if you have not already made the acquaintance of Timeshift, it's never too soon.

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Ask me any questions on it over there.

A good example would have been before your upgrade from Freya/Loki. You take a snapshot, run the upgrade, and if anything goes south for the Winter, you just roll back until you work it out.

This relies on your having earmarked a Partition for Timeshift, or even better, external storage.

Enjoy your Linux :p

Wizard

Hello DreamyAbaddon and welcome to the forum.

Yep Linux is awesome. :cool::)

I've been playing around with Windows 10 because Windows 7 EOL is almost a reality and the wife refuses to use Linux.

I have to say Windows 10 these days is 100% better than it was when it was 1st released although it is quite the mess when setting it up for the 1st time.

I was amazed how long from start to finish everything took and I had zero problems installing and updating Windows 10.

I'm glad to be back to Linux. :)

Hello everyone!
I wanted to give you my perspective on Linux as a non-techsavy user.

The distro I've used are: ElementaryOS, DeepinOS, PopOS and Ubuntu.
My favorite has to be ElementaryOS which is my first distro and I used it for 3 years now.
I'm still a Linux newb despite the 3 years experience on ElementaryOS.

The thing I love about Linux is how simple it is compared to both Windows10 and MacOS.
I even had my mom, grandma, uncle, brother and friends who are non-techsavy PC users to try out Linux through ElementaryOS and Deepin and they all agreed that Linux is easier to use for them and getting things done is a lot more simple than Windows and Mac.

Simplicity from downloading applications using the AppCenter, creating application shortcuts using the application doc, organizing your files through the file manager with tabs, to watching videos, writing docs, making spreadsheets, to playing simple games on Steam. The user experience is out of this world and the best part is you don't have to use the terminal to get things done. Linux has the most user-friendly Graphical User Interface that puts Microsoft and Apple to shame and this makes me very excited for the future of the open-source free OS.

I love how the updates are not forced like Windows and how you don't have to worry about your applications breaking from unwanted updates. I love how it puts users back in control of their computers. I can understand now why people love Linux.

I am a simple guy and I enjoy using simple interface and having useful functionality. I also love how light-weight Linux is because it means my hardware will put more focus on its resources for the applications instead. Windows and MacOS takes up a lot of background processing sadly.

I intend to show more of my friends and family this wonderful, user-friendly experience Linux offers.
The great thing about Linux is how there is a distro for everyone: From simple, non-techsavy users who need to be productive and want to have fun playing games and watching movies, to advanced, tech savy users who want full control of everything their computer has to offer. There are many options out there which truly makes Linux amazing and the helpful community online makes it even that much better.

I can't wait to introduce Linux to more people as I believe this approach to user-friendliness to non-tech-savvy users is the best approach for mass adoption going forward into the future.

Thank you for having me.
I look forward to be a part of this community.
View attachment 4021 View attachment 4022

Thank you! Your post really explain how simple and newbie-friendly is this OS. I personally never use Linux and have zero experience on it, but I really want to try one of them. Now with this explanation, I will directly install one of them on my PC. :):):)

G'day @blackswan659 and welcome to linux.org :)

If you have any problems or questions on a LInux install, start a new Thread at https://www.linux.org/forums/getting-started.148/ ... go to right-hand side Post New Thread.

Good luck :)

There you go, Dreamy - one new recruit already.

Goodonyer

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thank you! Your post really explains how simple and newbie-friendly is this OS. I personally never use Linux and have zero experience on it, but I really want to try one of them. Now with this explanation, I will directly install one of them on my PC. :):):)

You're welcome! I'm glad my post has helped motivate you to try it out.
You're going to have a blast with Linux.

I'm a little bias so I'm going to recommend: ElementaryOS, DeepinOS, PoPOS, and Ubutun as the top 4 distros that are newb friendly. I know a lot of people also say Linux Mint is great if you're a Windows user but I personally dislike that interface so I never tried that one but yeah when it comes to installing apps from the AppCenter, it's super easy. Sure you can do all these complicated shit on the terminal but you really don't have to on Linux to have a productive, simple and fun experience on an operating system that just lightweight and simply gets the hell out of your way.

Also worth noting that installation is more simple on Linux and you can try it out from a USB drive before installing it to your hard drive / SSD but be warned, the performance is not good and it's super slow usually when you're running it from the USB drive from my own experience.

Please please please try ElementaryOS or DeepinOS as your first!
If you love the Windows Interface, DeepinOS lets you switch from MacOS (Stylish mode) to WindowsOS (Efficient mode) but trust me the Stylish mode is just as efficient as the stylish. In the end, the choice is yours during installation and you can always switch back to the other one to see if the other interface suits you more.

Let us know your experience when you've tried it out!
Have fun!

P.S - Not sure why editing my post is considered spam unless I add more words. =( Oh well.

There's something for everybody in Linux :)

I have Juno in my stable, too, and quite like it. I have been with them since Freya.

Just a heads up - if you have not already made the acquaintance of Timeshift, it's never too soon.

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

Ask me any questions on it over there.

A good example would have been before your upgrade from Freya/Loki. You take a snapshot, run the upgrade, and if anything goes south for the Winter, you just roll back until you work it out.

This relies on your having earmarked a Partition for Timeshift, or even better, external storage.

Enjoy your Linux :p

Wizard

Woah!!! I had NO Idea there was such a tool called TimeShift. That's amazing!
Sadly by the time I read this post, I already uninstalled my old LinuxOS and installed a new one on top: ElementaryOS JUNO!
I did backup my data through from an external drive so all is good. Grub was being a butt whole but I fixed it with some kind of repair boot loader software on the appcenter and now I'm up and running.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I will certainly look into this for future Linux Distro upgrades.

Set timeshift up now....and take an "on demand' snapshot. Then you will have a backup that is as clean and pure as the driven snow !

Last edited:
Brian (@Condobloke ) is one of our greater advocates for Timeshift - it has saved our bacon more than some people have had hot dinners :D

If you are going to monkey with essentials such as graphics, wifi, audio, printers, scanners, and on and on - Timeshift first. Likewise if you are introducing "foreign" software that is outside of your Linux Distro's Repositories.

I liken it to a hammer for a carpenter - essential tool, and I have it on all 90 of my Distros.

Enjoy

Wiz

Brian (@Condobloke ) is one of our greater advocates for Timeshift - it has saved our bacon more than some people have had hot dinners :D

If you are going to monkey with essentials such as graphics, wifi, audio, printers, scanners, and on and on - Timeshift first. Likewise if you are introducing "foreign" software that is outside of your Linux Distro's Repositories.

I liken it to a hammer for a carpenter - essential tool, and I have it on all 90 of my Distros.

Enjoy

Wiz

The thing is I use Macrium Reflect to make my Windows10 backups on a separate, external hard drive and I know how many times it has saved me so I know the value of Timeshift first hand when you guys brought it up. I installed it now and I can't believe how much easier it is than Macruim Reflect and Time machine. It's pretty straight forward and I love the interface.

My new Linux Upgrade to ElementaryOS JUNO! Gosh I LOVE what they did to the New Folder icons!
It's so much better than the blue folders on my previous version and easy on the eyes. I wish Windows had a prettier file manager and folder icons like this!
Screenshot from 2019-05-15 02-33-02.png

Hey Dreamy, totally off-topic but here in Oz it is the 10th, so happy birthday today or tomorrow, hope it is a good one :)

Wiz

Members online