Linux kernel headers (for vmware player)

Thejoker1313

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I was not able to download kernel headers from bash so I'm trying to do it manually.

Is the kernel headers where my mouse cursor is pointed the right ones for me?

I'm asking because I don't want to get my system broken and try to find solutions how to repair it later, thanks. :D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-19 10:37:24.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-19 10:37:24.png
    266.7 KB · Views: 190

No, the package will actually be called "kernel-headers" or something like that and it will have the the same version as the currently running kernel.

I did find "kernel-image" file is that one correct? How do I check what kernel version I'm running? Is there some terminal command?

Edit: Now I did find "linux-headers" I would just need to know which is the right version for me.

How do I check what kernel version I'm running?

Code:
type into terminal:

uname -r

e.g from my terminal

[andrew@darkstar:~]$ uname -r       

(06-19 09:02)
5.12.11-arch1-1

I did find "kernel-image" file is that one correct? How do I check what kernel version I'm running? Is there some terminal command?

Edit: Now I did find "linux-headers" I would just need to know which is the right version for me.
You shouldn't be running Kali if you have to ask such things, Kali isn't meant for beginners. The same version as your kernel version which can find the way @captain-sensible showed you.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be running Kali if you have to ask such things, Kali isn't meant for beginners. The same version as your kernel version which can find the way @captain-sensible showed you.

Yes I actually know this, but I'm studying cyber security so I changed from ubuntu to kali os. I know I can download the same tools like metasploit framework and others to ubuntu or use them at virtual machine. I did just think I will learn faster if I actually use kali os as my host, but I'm also thinking about going back to ubuntu.

Thanks for advices.

Staff online