Linux "market" share?

ReginaBob

Reaction score
Credits
I use "market" for lack of a better term,since market implies an exchange of currency.Has anyone devised a method of determining how may computers are using linux as a daily driver as opposed to developers and casual experimenters like me?Obviously,the number of downloads is not useful for this purpose.A poll would not only be limited to whatever forum one used,but would likely have limited or negative response due to security concerns.Then of course there is Microsft-linux muddying the waters.Can this be considered another true linux distro?Seems to me the bottom line is this:linux can be used by regular people with little knowledge of how it works(that's me),but it's main usefuness is as a development platform.All this being said,just how many Linux desktop computers are out there anyway?

Microsoft has never publicly released any Linux distributions. They have made Microsoft Azure which servers and native services run on Linux. Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL 2) is a compatibility layer to run Linux binaries on Windows. The former is used mostly for virtualization (though it can also be used for analytics, storage, networking, etc as it is a cloud computing service) and the latter is used for developers who don't want to invest in running Linux natively on their system whether it be full on or dual booting.

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Linux Lite, OpenSUSE, Manjaro, Garuda, soon DraugerOS, ElementaryOS, PopOS, ZorinOS and alot more linux distros can be used by the average person as well as the professional/hobbyist.

There are companies out there that sell (native) Linux laptops and desktops such as System76, Pine64, Dell, Lenovo, Purism, Slimbook, Juno Computers, Tuxedo Computers, Star Lab Systems, to name a few.

As for your question, we could look at the desktop marketshare for Linux. Though this isn't entirely accurate for a whole sleugh of reasons such as there is no way to track down all Linux installations easily. This is why different sites report different figures. In general when taking to account the lowest estimates to highests, the figure ranges from 1-2% in some statistics and 6-7% in others.

On a non-tech site that I admin, Linux accounts ~8% of all human traffic.

That's a bit skewed because it's used by myself and some peers who use Linux, but that's the number I've got.

The overwhelming majority of traffic is just computers talking to computers. You have things like bots, legit and not, that try to index your site or search for weaknesses. That's the vast majority of traffic, estimated to be 90 to 95% of all web traffic.

Members online

Latest posts