Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon HP Device Manager Not Seeing Printer / Dependencies Missing SOLVED

The easiest way to find the IP is
Code:
lpstat -s
or
Code:
avahi-browse --all -t -r
Glad it is finally fixed

one thing you should do is set the URI / IP address for the printer to a static address that is beyond the normal DNS setting.
you can do that on the printer by going to settings wifi. This will prevent the URI/ip address from changing automatically when you add another item to the network. Then reinstall the printer using the static ip address. For exapmple mine is set to 192.168.0.215 In never changes that way.

The easiest way to find the IP is
Code:
lpstat -s
or
Code:
avahi-browse --all -t -r
Glad it is finally fixed
Thank you for sticking with me all this time Lord Boltar!

Any ideas on why the URI was wrong or changed?

Thank you for sticking with me all this time Lord Boltar!

Any ideas on why the URI was wrong or changed?
Most likely from rebooting the printer or adding a wifi device like a phone - have to set your printer with a static IP like kc1di says - if you don't and reboot the printer most of the times it will get a new IP then won't work
Depending on the interface you want to modify, click either on the Network or Wi-Fi tab. To open the interface settings, click on the cog icon next to the interface name
In “IPV4” Method" tab, select “Manual” and enter your static IP address, Netmask and Gateway. Once done, click on the “Apply” button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely from rebooting the printer or adding a wifi device like a phone - have to set your printer with a static IP like kc1di says - if you don't and reboot the printer most of the times it will get a new IP then won't work
Roger that:-

The scanner works but it's not clear.
I'll have to mess with the dpi later.

I'll try now at setting the printer with a static ip.
Never done this before so I hope I can find what you and kc1di said in the printers GUI.

Roger that:-

The scanner works but it's not clear.
I'll have to mess with the dpi later.

I'll try now at setting the printer with a static ip.
Never done this before so I hope I can find what you and kc1di said in the printers GUI.
I just made an addition to my last post at the same time you posted might want to have a relook at it #84

These are the options on the printer it'self.
Wireless
Wireless Setup Wizard
Wifi Protected Setup
Display Network Config
IP Settings and
Restore Network Default

IT's giving me a WARNING that changing the ip address will remove the device from the network.

Is that what I want?

These are the options on the printer it'self.
Wireless
Wireless Setup Wizard
Wifi Protected Setup
Display Network Config
IP Settings and
Restore Network Default

IT's giving me a WARNING that changing the ip address will remove the device from the network.

Is that what I want?
Yes, IP settings and enter a static IP address on my envy it offers to automatically set one for me. Don't know if the 110 series is the same as mine is a 500 series. If it does let it do it and copy down the new address and make that change in your printer setup on the machine. Good luck.

Yes, IP settings and enter a static IP address on my envy it offers to automatically set one for me. Don't know if the 110 series is the same as mine is a 500 series. If it does let it do it and copy down the new address and make that change in your printer setup on the machine. Good luck.
IF the printer doesn't offer to automatically set one for me will this work?

Will it mess up my modem in any way?

yes like kc1di states either enter it manually if you can and save it or if it offers a new one automatically use that then change your Mint to that IP should be 192.168.0.17 not 017 - no should not mess with modem if something else is allowed it should assign a different IP since that IP is in use

It won't let me change it.
When I select Manual it gives me:
192.168.000.017 and gives me a "done" button.

When I touch where the zero's are there is no way to backspace to change it to what I want. {192.168.0.17}

Could the screen with 192.168.000.017 be what it's trying to change it for me?

I have to be sure, remember I have PTSD.

Last edited:
It won't let me change it.
When I select Manual it gives me:
192.168.000.017 and gives me a "done" button.

When I touch where the zero's are there is no way to backspace to change it to what I want. {192.168.0.17}

Could the screen with 192.168.000.017 be what it's trying to change it for me?

I have to be sure, remember I have PTSD.
yes that is fine those extra zeroes are just fillers - the 4 sections of an IP address has 3 digits each some things auto fill the unused spaces with zeroes - so 192.168.0.17 becomes 192.168.000.017 which is the same thing

yes that is fine those extra zeroes are just fillers - the 4 sections of an IP address has 3 digits each some things auto fill the unused spaces with zeroes - so 192.168.0.17 becomes 192.168.000.017 which is the same thing
OK, thanks.

Well I changed the ip address in the settings on the printer and now I'm back to 'Device Communication Error' and the menu for the scanner and everything else in the HPLIP GUI was gone.

After a few minutes I changed the URI back to 198.168.0.17 and the scanner worked.

I'm going to reboot to see what happens.

Last edited:
Upon reboot Mint works fine and the printer and the scanner work as well.

Lord Boltar thanks again!
And kc1di thank you for your assistance too!

So glad that's fixed!

Me too been a bit of a palaver but glad it is working

Happy it's working for you :)

Me too been a bit of a palaver but glad it is working
Yeah, that was a lot more complex than I would of liked too.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend.:)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts