Linux Mint 20.2 Released

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

I received an update this morning....for the new version of the Update Manager

Shortly after, System Reports appeared in the systray announcing 'a new version of Linux Mint is available....with a 'Upgrade to Linux Mint 20.2 Uma' button to click

The upgrade can be accessed from either the System Report (Menu, type in system report) or from the Update Manager in LM20.1

I will have a read of the LM blog/announcements ......and will continue to read it as upgrade comments are made over the next week or so.

As always the FIRST STEP is the most important. TAKE A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR CURRENT SYSTEM WITH TIMESHIFT

If you have other important data/documents, music/pics etc etc.....MAKE A BACKUP OF THEM

Timeshift will only restore your OPERATING SYSTEM....Be safe rather than sorry

1. Create a system snapshot

You can use Timeshift to make a system snapshot before the upgrade.

If anything goes wrong, you can easily restore your operating system to its previous state.

Launch Timeshift from the application menu, follow the instructions on the screen to configure it and create a system snapshot.

If anybody reading this is unsure how to set Timeshift up, just say so and someone here will help you

The Upgrade is also accessible from the 'edit' button in the update manager of Linux Mint 20.1

Last edited:
Mint Cinnamon 19.1 is supported till 2023 and 20.1 till 2025, so there's no need at this time, I never upgrade, I always do a clean install on a spare Drive
winking0017.gif

One major upgrade including the Cinnamon 5 desktop environment.
Full article, review, and screenshots from ITSFoss:
Cinnamon 5 comes with some under-the-hood improvements to its performance and a nice little option to limit its RAM usage.
mint-20-2-cinnamon-ss1.png

I tried this on a VM myself. Below are some of the screenshots:
Cinnamon DE:
mint-20-2-cinnamon-ss2.png

mint-20-2-xfce.png

How to upgrade: Make sure to create a system snapshot with Timeshift.
Full instructions from Linux Mint blog:
Download Linux Mint 20.20 from this link:
Make sure to verify the ISO:

linux-mint-202-gtkhash-results.png

I already created a post about it yesterday here, just add it there?

The question will inevitably be asked....Upgrade or Clean Install ?

This time around I will opt for the Upgrade,

Why?...because my install of 20.1 is absolutely flying.....as near to perfection as can be.

So.....that "perfection" will no doubt carry over to the upgraded 20.2

(when I get around to doing the upgrade of course, which won't be just yet.....I will allow a bit of water to flow under the bridge before I opt to do it.)

With minor release upgrades(ie: 20.1 to 20.2) you can just upgrade, with major release upgrades(ie: 19.x to 20.x) the better option is usually to do a clean install. However with Ubuntu as well as Debian it's now days seems it's mostly safe to upgrade from one major version to the next. Although never forgot to make a backup when doing upgrades whether doing minor or major release upgrades.

Also, I have a Mint box upgrading as I type this:

Selection_167.png

Let us know how it goes/performs/etc etc

Let us know how it goes/performs/etc etc

It went just fine. I haven't spent much time with that system, as it's just a test box. But, the upgrade went okay and I've been able to connect to it remotely for testing since then.

Smooth upgrade on my ThinkPad X1 Yoga. I actually just installed 20.1 last week, and aside from Brave browser, hadnt had time to install any other software, or do much to the system.

I had guests and one of them was quite young and disappointed that he'd forgotten his Nintendo Switch. So, on the Mint box I installed SuperTuxKart and let 'em have at it. He took to it like a duck takes to water.

I downloaded the XFCE versiom of uma ( linuxmint-20.2-xfce-64bit.iso )

; boots from Ventoy formated stick and persistence works with it . Acceptably responsive compared to Debian Buster

Updated to 20.2 this afternoon, July 17th 2021

Took a snapshot with Timeshift, First. (with a notation that this snapshot is prior to Upgrade to 20.2)

Started at 4.35 pm

Rebooted at 4.41pm

Updated and Ready for use at 4.42pm

therefore 8 minutes.

Then I ran:
Timeshift with notation that this snapshot is immediately after upgrade to 20.2

Then, in Terminal...(and yes I realize that some of these were totally unnecessary/double ups etc etc...)
I have never bothered to commit the differences to memory

sudo apt-get clean

sudo apt clean

sudo apt autoclean

and because I run an ssd

sudo fstrim -v /

I made a few adjustments in the Update Manager...updating flatpaks automatically...set my own numbers for notifications re updates .....

1.png

2.png

....and a few other bits and pieces.

I also set memory Limit in System Settings to a few random figures. I may adjust it later...maybe not

3.png

Overall i have a made a net gain of approx 4GB on the SSD, and the uptick in overall speed/responsiveness is very noticeable. This pc was already quick...it is now quicker.

I had given serious thought to a fresh install before I upgraded today

Now?...a fresh install is not going to achieve anything that I need.

I would not know that unless I did it...right?....yes, but when I think of the usual screwing around setting things up again....the brains instinct process says No. leave it alone.

I will also Upgrade my Wife's PC tomorrow. ....and that is something I do not do without plenty of thought beforehand.

As @Hillbilly H said above this post....."Linux is not windows!"....(and thank God for that !!!

As jack Wallen, Software Writer said "With the work the developers have put into 20.2, Linux Mint might well be one of the best performing operating systems on the market".....&
Kudos to the Linux Mint developers, what you've pulled off is nothing short of astounding.

I agree.

Last edited: Yesterday at 7:54 PM

Members online

Latest posts