Linux Mint 20.3 (Una) is about to drop.....this month.

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
Linux Mint 20.3 Una

Linux Mint 20.3 was codenamed “Una”. Its stable release is planned to arrive for Christmas this year. It will come in 3 flavors: Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce.

LMDE 5 Elsie

Work is set to start on the next version of LMDE which was given the codename “Elsie”. It will be based on Debian 11, ship with a Cinnamon desktop environment and support both amd64 and i386 architectures.

All of our focus is on the BETA for Linux Mint 20.3. We’re planning to release it early this December. We’re finalizing translations, artwork and still making fixes and adjustments but for the most part it’s almost ready to enter QA.

READ>>>>>

i've got Cinnamon uma on son's laptop 20.2 . From the little I know this is a minor release; there was a pkg "mintupgrade " but that was for 18 to 19 i vaguely remember.

You know much more than i do on Mint so at some point as in Davids blog I run at some point :

Code:
sudo apt upgarde && sudo apt full-upgrade -y

Wait a month for bugs to be found ? Whats your recommendation ?

ps I used aptitude "g" & "g" and got upgrades, then went to Menu update gui; said there was nothing to do , so aptitude must have run Ok.

Whats your thoughts on aptitude pro's and con's ?

I usually wait a little while....the exact length of time depends on "instinct', and some good old fashioned "keeping my eyes open for complaints"...screams for help from those who have dived in at the earliest possible moment......However.....having said that, the Linux Mint team, headed up by Clément Lefèbvre, are extraordinarily active, and therefore, on the ball.

I cannot imagine them releasing a 'dud' ....they are, after all, putting out an alternative to windows 11. They have tidied up their website as well in an effort to show a more polished & professional approach.

The new website is now fully ready and live on https://www.linuxmint.com. It looks minty, it works on all devices and it looks modern. It also does a better job than before at welcoming newcomers, explaining what Linux Mint is, why people love it and how to install it.
We are a modern operating system. We use Linux because it’s better, not because it’s free or because it’s old or because it didn’t embrace controversial design changes. We use it because it’s fast, because it works, because it does what we want. It was important for our website to not only convey these ideas but to look modern as well.

If all that is not an attempt to give the using public a polished alternative to win 11 I dont know what is.

So, I may well throw the iso onto a usb and take it for a spin...sooner rather than later.

My install of LM20.2 (cinnamon, UMA), is an absolute delight to use.

For UNA to surpass it, will require something really out of the box !

Aptitude is not of interest to me atm.

ps I would love to see Linux Mint bring out a browser. Now that would bring a shockwave to msft's doorstep !

I'll be trying it out when final arrives. There is usually no real problems with the point releases. Of course next year there will be a new major update from 20.x To 21.x (or maybe they will skip 21 and go to 22, will see) For that one will do a clean new install.

I'm interested in the LMDE upgrade. 4 is getting pretty long in the tooth.

As for the point upgrades, as @kc1di said, those are usually pretty safe to upgrade to immediately. Mint's based on something that's already heavily tested. So long as they put the same effort into testing their additions//changes (which I can't vouch for) it should be pretty safe.

I'm interested in the LMDE upgrade. 4 is getting pretty long in the tooth.

As for the point upgrades, as @kc1di said, those are usually pretty safe to upgrade to immediately. Mint's based on something that's already heavily tested. So long as they put the same effort into testing their additions//changes (which I can't vouch for) it should be pretty safe.
Mints additions are usually well tested before release. But of course lots of testing depends upon various hardware and they simply do not have the resources to test all hardware possibilities. Usually there is where any problems show up. It's important for ops to file bug reports if they run into problems not just complain about them on forums, because most of the Dev's don't have time to read forums extensively. This page tells how to report bugs for Mint/Ubuntu.

Entirely unrelated, I should keep track of that page. I should make a page of pages that tell you where to properly file bugs for the more popular distros. That sounds a lot like work, however.

Entirely unrelated, I should keep track of that page. I should make a page of pages that tell you where to properly file bugs for the more popular distros. That sounds a lot like work, however.
Great Idea :)

*sighs*

I know! I just need to sit down on a weekend day and do it.

Wizard is known to be full of pithy sayings (especially when he's on the pith), but David you may be reinventing the wheel and making a rod for your own back with this one.

You could have a "Today's article is all about" on

CSS:
cat /etc/*release

whereby Members can identify what they are using, but also where to report bugs, namely with

Code:
grep -i bug /etc/*release

which for your Lubuntu provides

chris@lubuntu20-04-2-HDD:~$ grep -i bug /etc/*release
/etc/os-release:BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/"

openSUSE

chris@GeckoPlasma-HDD:~> grep -i bug /etc/*release
BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.opensuse.org"

Manjaro

[chris@MJRO-XFCE-SSD ~]$ grep -i bug /etc/*release
/etc/os-release:BUG_REPORT_URL="https://bugs.manjaro.org/"

EndeavourOS

chris@EndeavourOS ~]$ grep -i bug /etc/*release
/etc/os-release:BUG_REPORT_URL="https://github.com/endeavouros-team"

and since this Thread is about Linux Mint

/etc/os-release:BUG_REPORT_URL="http://linuxmint-troubleshooting-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/"

Trust Clem to say a mouthful.

(Don't give me a thumbs up, give me beers)

Cheers

Wiz

(Don't give me a thumbs up, give me beers)

Amusingly, I cannot give you anything but thumbs up due to a bug in Chromium 98 where it kinda crashes if I try and choose anything else.

grep -i bug /etc/*release

That's viable, but I figure if I'm doing it then I might as well do it right and include a snippet telling them about the process - plus I'd likely include some of the more major projects 'cause I'm a sucker for punishment.

You could have a "Today's article is all about" on

I think I may have the other half of the equation! I may be turn this into a not-a-ton-of-work article - maybe...

I'll have to find the other package managers versions of:

Code:
apt-cache show wget | grep Bugs:

Members online