Linux Mint 20 drivers not working after update

particlefeever

Reaction score
Credits
I installed Linux Mint 20 this week and it was running so well... But I was still struggling to configure an external disk to setup a backup, I like GParted, but it miss some resources, I needed to resize some exFAT partition. Meanwhile, I decided to let Mint do the auto update - big mistake!

After the update and reboot, the screen was square instead of Full HD and there was an advise that the driver wasn't working and hardware acceleration wasn't working. Also, there was no Internet because WiFi wasn't working, it does not find the hardware. This is what I found so far, I don't know how to manage drivers in Mint, the drivers manager does not show anything, only says it's all updated.

Is there a way to keep those drivers updated and working? What can I do besides reinstall it all over again from DVD?

Need some info about your machine
Code:
inxi -Fxz

Here is:
Code:
System:
  Kernel: 5.4.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
  Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
  base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Apple product: Macmini2,1 v: 1.0 serial: <filter>
  Mobo: Apple model: Mac-F4208EAA v: PVT serial: <filter> BIOS: Apple
  v: MM21.88Z.009A.B00.0706281359 date: 06/28/07
CPU:
  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 T5600 bits: 64 type: MCP
  arch: Core Merom rev: 2 L2 cache: 2048 KiB
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 7333
  Speed: 1000 MHz min/max: 1000/1833 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1000 2: 1000
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics
  driver: N/A bus ID: 00:02.0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: fbdev,intel
  unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1280x1024~77Hz
  OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8
  direct render: Yes
Audio:
Network:
  Device-1: Marvell 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet driver: sky2 v: 1.30
  port: 1000 bus ID: 01:00.0
  IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR242x / AR542x Wireless Network Adapter
  vendor: Apple AirPort Extreme driver: N/A port: 1000 bus ID: 02:00.0
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 409.88 GiB used: 109.21 GiB (26.6%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Kingston model: SV300S37A120G size: 111.79 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Hitachi model: HTS545032B9A302
  size: 298.09 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 109.04 GiB used: 10.90 GiB (10.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 61.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 201 Uptime: 3m Memory: 2.90 GiB used: 1.19 GiB (41.1%)
  Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
  inxi: 3.0.38
Obs.: my sound board is dead, I know, did't find an afordable replecament yet. The rest should be working. My monitor is an old Sony Bravia Full HD 40".

Resizing an exFAT partition you need to install exfat-fuse and exfat-utils which you can get through the Synaptic Package Manager - else gparted won't do it

Looking at your graphics it says - modesetting,vesa resolution: 1280x1024~77Hz
Can you go to System-Settings- Display and check the settings there make sure they have all your option

These packages are already installed. Gparted can create or delete, but not resize, thought is a limitation.

My graphics is a GMA 950, recognized as GMA 945 and the driver is reported as N/A. There is no options available in settings, this is the only option. Need a working driver to manage graphics...

WiFi seems to be the same case.

The GMA 950 was the second graphics core produced under Intel's Graphics Media Accelerator product name, and was incorporated in the Intel 945G chipsets. It should say i915 after driver, but it doesn't. Was it the kernel that update if so is the old kernel still installed roll back to that one temporarily and see if it works
to get into the grub menu will appear if you press and hold Shift during loading Grub, if you boot using BIOS. When your system boots using UEFI, press Esc. then scroll to advanced and select old kernel, it could be a kernel issue

Yeah! Holding shift I opened advanced menu and choosen the previous kernel (.26) and both screen and WiFi are now correct!
Two question to close this issue:
  1. How to keep it booting this kernel?
  2. How can I know I can upgrade without this issues? (thought they will work to fix it)
  3. Plus question: where to report this issue?

Basically use the synaptic package manager and remove the kernel that does not work. When you search type in 5.4.0-58 if that is the kernel that broke your stuff, there should be 4 to 6 things listed right click on them and select Mark for Removal and click apply. Just make sure you have the correct kernel
To verify first in the terminal run
Code:
uname -r
this will list active kernel

Linux Mint uses Ubuntu Canonical Kernels so you can report it - here -
you do not need an account set up there to report

To update without updating the kernel
Use the following command to exclude or hold specific Debian package from an update. This will turn off the updates of specified packages from an automatic upgrade or manual upgrades.

Code:
sudo apt-mark hold package_name

Change the package_name with your actual package name to be set on hold.

You can check the packages on hold anytime. Use the following command to view all packages already set to hold.

Code:
sudo dpkg --get-selections | grep "hold"

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
:)G'day @particlefeever

In addition to the advice given above, you have Linux Mint and Timeshift is installed by default, make use of it.

Before major updates, take a Timeshift screenshot, and then again a few days after, once you have established everything is working as it should.

Then if something goes wrong as you have experienced, you can simply rollback to a state where things worked OK.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I have just configured a backup. I did the reporting and will try to uninstall that kernel so won't have to boot with shift all the time. But any changes only after I make sure there is a reliable backup available...

Well, I found my way to deal with this kernel problem. I just have to uncheck the kernel in the packages list to update and that's it, no update trouble anymore. Maybe some update will require the kernel's update, then I will come back to this issue. Right now I am happy with Mint, and uncheck an item every time I do an update is a small price to pay.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

It could be that -58 kernel is bad for your machine, now you now how to fix it, when say -60 kernel comes out you may want to have another go at upgrading - just a thought

From memory.;...I Think......if you right click that kernel update you choose to ignore future updates for kernels.

You can turn it back on later if necessary.

(I haven't done this for 12 months plus.....so my memory of the procedure may be a bit whacko)

OR....
Click on menu, and type in Ubuntu mainline kernel installer.......wait for it to load......it could take a few minutes......
All the kernels displayed there with a tiny penguin beside them are NOT installed.

(The kernel you are running will be displayed in the bottom left hand corner)....Do NOT remove it

Scroll down until you find the list of installed kernels.....single click on the 5.4.0-58 kernel....that will highlight it.
Then click on Remove

Thats it.

At the start of your topic you said "Meanwhile, I decided to let Mint do the auto update - big mistake!"

That would NOT generally be a mistake.

I and many, Many others here install ALL updates.

At this point it would be a good idea to go back to your backup

TIMESHIFT, will save your bacon. It is already in the software manager on your LM20

Need to know more....just ask

Timeshift - Timeshift - Timeshift!
That's as close I will get to shouting on the internet.
Please folks, if you use Linux (any distro) install and use Timeshift. Once it saves your bacon, you will always use it as needed.
That's enough from the Old Geez for now.

Oh yes, did I mention Timeshift? LOL.
Here's a pic of mine right now. Notice at the bottom it says 'Scheduled Snapshots are disabled.' When I make a new snapshot I use the Create button at the top.
When the new one is created, I delete the oldest one. Easy peasy as someone here says quite often.

Timeshift.png

Members online