Linux-mint-20-will-block-ubuntu-snap-by-default/

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
by Martin Brinkmann on June 16, 2020

""What we didn’t want it to be was for Canonical to control the distribution of software between distributions and 3rd party editors, to prevent direct distribution from editors, to make it so software worked better in Ubuntu than anywhere else and to make its store a requirement.""

You’ve as much empowerment with this as if you were using proprietary software, i.e. none. This is in effect similar to a commercial proprietary solution, but with two major differences: It runs as root, and it installs itself without asking you.

Last edited:

The Linux Mint Blog page , authored by Clement Lefebvre June 1, 2020

is a mandatory read......

as you install APT updates, Snap becomes a requirement for you to continue to use Chromium and installs itself behind your back. This breaks one of the major worries many people had when Snap was announced and a promise from its developers that it would never replace APT.
A self-installing Snap Store which overwrites part of our APT package base is a complete NO NO. It’s something we have to stop and it could mean the end of Chromium updates and access to the snap store in Linux Mint.

A year later, in the Ubuntu 20.04 package base, the Chromium package is indeed empty and acting, without your consent, as a backdoor by connecting your computer to the Ubuntu Store

Edit to Add
for those who are unaware, Clem Lefebre is the man behind Linux Mint.
Read Here

Last edited:
Agree. And I am one of those "... old hard core bull headed unwilling to change and set in their way Linux users." Make it optional, and let the market decide.

Totalostoday's take on it.........
His opinion...

The only way that Snaps are installed in Ubuntu 20.04 is if a user installs software from the Snap store or Software Manager.

Installing software using Synaptic Package Manager or using the Terminal installs the standard Deb software packages.

I'm also one of the old hard core bull headed unwilling to change and set in their way Linux users however I'm not so set in my ways that I'm unwilling to try something new.

The best thing about Linux is there are many different distros for the old hard core bull headed unwilling to change and set in their way Linux users. :p:D

I use different distros so if something changes I don't like and I can't change it than I have other options.

I may not always like the new changes although I adapt to them and move forward.

Linux is free so how can you complain when something changes you don't like.
Actually apt does install some snaps, that's one of the points that upsets SOME parts of the community. And it does this by creating an essentially empty apt package that has dependencies on snap packages.

Linux is free and I am free to complain about what I perceive as foolishness. snaps makes it easier for the developers; that doesn't mean it's better for the users. Nonetheless, Canonical insists on pushing the snap approach by incorporation into the apt process without differentiating between the very different apt and snap architectures.

It is part of the adventure.

My opinion is that snaps are a poor implementation of containers. There is zero integration with the rest of the system. Does it work? Probably, but the end result is a set of individually containerized apps, that need to function with an un-containerized OS, and probably other non-containerized apps. Not a model of efficiency.

Sure, try it. Experiment with it.

Puppy also has spot as a non-root option for browsing for those that prefer that option.

Puppy Linux runs root as default and I use it and have zero worries and have never been compromised.

Running non root only keeps the user from breaking their Linux distro.

Your firewall is what keeps bad guys from getting into / onto your computer.
Really?

I'm just curious - whereas I don't use Snaps nor do I use Chromium or any Chromium based browsers - when the Linux Mint blog says
as you install APT updates, Snap becomes a requirement for you to continue to use Chromium and installs itself behind your back.
what exactly does "behind your back" mean?

Is there no indication at all that a Snap package will be installed?
If a person is installing with apt from the terminal is there no list of packages, including Snap packages, to be installed?
Or is the Snap packages listed but there is no indication from where it is being drawn from?
Or are they (Ubuntu) installing snapd without permission?

Has anyone here actually tried installing Chromium with the offending Snap snafu?

Just curious.

Starting with 20.04, maybe back into the 19s, snapd is a part of the stock installation. When I get back to 20.04 and clean install the 20.04.1 bug release, snapd will be the first to die.

So...was this a storm in a teacup ?....or do doubts etc still linger ?

Quite the contrary, Brian - even Wizard has felt the ripples in his Tower. :D

Have a road trip Morning morning, but will Post a new Thread on the subject in Mint following that.

Also looking to move this to Mint if you have no objections?

Cheers

Chris

All fine and dandy by me ....I will await your thread with bated breath

And it's NOT in the least bit teacup-ish!

If you want to remove Snapd here is guide

List installed snap packages

Code:
snap list

Next Remove Snap Packages that were Installed there are a few by default on Buntu

Name Version Rev Tracking Publisher Notes
core 16-2.44.1 8935 latest/stable canonical✓ core
core18 20200311 1705 latest/stable canonical✓ base
gnome-3-34-1804 0+git.2c86692 24 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
gtk-common-themes 0.1-30-gd41a42a 1502 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -
snap-store 20200415.e028804 394 latest/stable/… canonical✓ -

Code:
sudo snap remove (Package name)

Unmount the snap core service

You'll need to replace the xxxx with the actual ID inside the core directory on your system, which you can find out by running

Code:
df

then run

Code:
sudo umount /snap/core/xxxx

Now remove Snapd

Code:
sudo apt remove snapd

Remove any left over snap directories

Code:
rm -rf ~/snap
Code:
sudo rm -rf /snap
Code:
sudo rm -rf /var/snap
Code:
sudo rm -rf /var/lib/snapd

If you remove snapd, there will not be a /snap/core/xxxx to mount. Then get rid of remnant snaps with your favorite CLI or GUI package management tool. It's best to do it early after a clean install.

by Martin Brinkmann on June 16, 2020

""What we didn’t want it to be was for Canonical to control the distribution of software between distributions and 3rd party editors, to prevent direct distribution from editors, to make it so software worked better in Ubuntu than anywhere else and to make its store a requirement.""

You’ve as much empowerment with this as if you were using proprietary software, i.e. none. This is in effect similar to a commercial proprietary solution, but with two major differences: It runs as root, and it installs itself without asking you.

Is this still relevant?

Members online

Latest posts