linux mint install locks on "setting preliminary keymap". what means this??

F

feldoh2go

I have been laboring over this for weeks while healing, and I can come so close, but cannot get Mint15, Mint17, or Ubuntu 13 to load on a Dell Vostro 200 desktop. (Now, that isn't THAT old! 2008, came with Vista). The old OS was xp, I admit it...and I tried Linux Mint 15 on my (wife's!) laptop, and it is great...so good that I want to put it on my desktop pc, and finally make the break from windows blackmail. I DID get ubuntu 10 to install on it..so it seems possible to make the shift, but the newer Mint distros lock on the line that says "setting preliminary keymap" followed by a blinking cursor, that will not go further...even left on for days. I even formatted the hard drive, pulled it out, and installed Mint 17 on the drive...tested it out...then put the drive back in the Vostro, only to have the boot up lock on that very same line. I assume I have a hardware or driver issue, but I cannot find what else to try. I thought getting Ubuntu 10 would let me 'upgrade' to a newer distro, but still struggle with that too. HELP!

I have never seen this problem before.

Just looking at the system specs it looks like it may be the graphics card. What I would try is booting Linux Mint 17 with the nomodeset flag. There should be an option when the first grub screen displays to select boot options. Then select nomodeset.

P.S. I have used Mint 15 on an even older machine. Yours is very compatible. :)

This may sound daft, but on the Raspberry Pi that problem has been put down to a real-time-clock issue. (link deleted as I cannot post links...yet!

Is the CMOS/BIOS/Backup battery on the motherboard still working or does it need replaced?

What language/country layout is the keyboard?

This would be such a relief (as I never would have thought....) !

I have not seen anything on the computer concerning the battery, and it still runs vista on a different hard drive with no issues. I am not sure how to check that, but will look into it. The keyboard is set up English/US, and just in case I will connect a different keyboard because I can. I have read the referenced post..and am not sure how to:

"The best solution for now is to run "sudo setupcon" once manually. Preferably immediately after changing the keyboard layout, but any time when the clock is set correctly should be fine."

Obviously I have no Mint loaded...I do this from terminal before boot start?

Does it tell the correct time and date?
surprisingly, no! the date was correct. the time was not...said 9:36, should have been 2: 37. I have set that right...in WinVista, not in setup. is it that easy?

surprisingly, no! the date was correct. the time was not...said 9:36, should have been 2: 37. I have set that right...in WinVista, not in setup. is it that easy?
checked in setup, and it is right there...just booted and...locked on the same line.
so i need to go edit when grub comes up? and command line..sudo setupcon..?

(Stumped for the moment)

Have you tried @ryanvade 's suggestions. Have you got a separate video card or do you take video from the motherboard?

(Stumped for the moment)

Have you tried @ryanvade 's suggestions. Have you got a separate video card or do you take video from the motherboard?
I look at the system specs, and it shows a video card.."intel graphics media accelerator 3100" . from all the success comments on the clock option, it sure sounded like the answer....but wishful

I have never seen this problem before.

Just looking at the system specs it looks like it may be the graphics card. What I would try is booting Linux Mint 17 with the nomodeset flag. There should be an option when the first grub screen displays to select boot options. Then select nomodeset.

P.S. I have used Mint 15 on an even older machine. Yours is very compatible. :)
i have not been able to find anything in startup menu like that..it gives me the main boot option, a recovery option, and memory check option. have c, command or tab, but dont see nomodeset? what just happen is blinking curser after 'keymap' i can type there...but it is waiting for me to input something?

Members online

Latest posts