Linux Mint xfce. No sound. [SOLVED]

• Thread starter Deleted member 139336
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 139336

I have just started trying to use Linux for the first time. I am running Linux Mint xfce 20.3 Una. I am using a TV as a monitor, via an HDMI connection, with no graphical issues. However, I can't get any sound. I did my best, with trying out a few fixes I found online and asking on another internet forum, but I got nowhere. For the record, this pc previously had the latest version of Manjaro Mate installed on it, a month or so ago, and the audio was working through the TV via HDMI. I don't know if that information helps at all. Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

Welcome to the forums
lets start with some information

from the terminal, run inxi -A and paste back the result

you can use one of the following ALSA, OSS,Jack , Pulse Audio and Pipwire.

I am preety sure linux mint is using Pulse Audio/Pipwire. Pipwire is the audio sever which happen to have random issues and problems on linux mint . It has to doing something with the version of Pulse Audio /Pipwire it using . I running the fedora 35 and it useing pipwire and it has no issues.The only problem i have it doesnt play well with usb digital speakers.If you using usb digital speakers you may want to try anolog speakers that the kind that has a 3.5mm jack.If that doesnt work you may want to try replacing pipewire/Pulse Audio with just Pulse Audio or ALSA. the only down fall of ALSA is that u only can use one sound device at a time.

• Checking for PulseAudio/Pipwire:
    Code:
    $ pactl info

• Checking for ALSA:
    Code:
    $ aplay -l

Last edited:
I've had the "no sound" problem. This was the quote from the user's support guide I read:
"Some TVs are not recognized by the computer as a HDMI device, but instead, are recognized as a DVI device. Since DVI connections do not support audio, the computer is unable to transfer audio to the TV with a HDMI connection. The computer will still support audio output through other audio connections." I had to connect an audio cable separately, soundcard out to TV in.

Welcome to the forums
lets start with some information

from the terminal, run inxi -A and paste back the result

Thank you for trying to help. As follows:

Audio:
Device-1: AMD driver: snd_hda_intel
Device-2: AMD Family 17h HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-107-generic

you can use one of the following ALSA, OSS,Jack , Pulse Audio and Pipwire.

I am preety sure linux mint is using Pulse Audio/Pipwire. Pipwire is the audio sever which happen to have random issues and problems on linux mint . It has to doing something with the version of Pulse Audio /Pipwire it using . I running the fedora 35 and it useing pipwire and it has no issues.The only problem i have it doesnt play well with usb digital speakers.If you using usb digital speakers you may want to try anolog speakers that the kind that has a 3.5mm jack.If that doesnt work you may want to try replacing pipewire/Pulse Audio with just Pulse Audio or ALSA. the only down fall of ALSA is that u only can use one sound device at a time.

• Checking for PulseAudio/Pipwire:
    Code:
    $ pactl info

• Checking for ALSA:
    Code:
    $ aplay -l

The pc is using PulseAudio on top of ALSA. I did try terminating PulseAudio, but it didn't do me any good. I would be very happy to only use one sound device, in the event that I had to solely rely on ALSA. I don't know what Pipwire is supposed to be. I will look it up later on.

I've had the "no sound" problem. This was the quote from the user's support guide I read:
"Some TVs are not recognized by the computer as a HDMI device, but instead, are recognized as a DVI device. Since DVI connections do not support audio, the computer is unable to transfer audio to the TV with a HDMI connection. The computer will still support audio output through other audio connections." I had to connect an audio cable separately, soundcard out to TV in.

I will check to see what connections are available on the pc and TV, in the event that I have to try doing that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will try my luck on another forum. There has to be a godly HDMI sound guru out there, somewhere. There was someone called Mreen on the first forum I went to, who seemed to have regular success with solving HDMI issues, but he stopped posting a few months before I showed up. Sigh. If I ever get anywhere, then I will report back. Little Greta will be seriously annoyed, if she hears that I needlessly went and bought another lead. :-0

I am a Linux beginner, so I hope no one is too harsh with me. As I was using the latest release of Linux Mint, I assumed that my problem couldn't be kernel related. Yes, I know seeing if the kernel is up to date is mentioned on one of the troubleshooting webpages on this forum. Sigh. Anyhow, someone else I know said that updating the kernel helped them fix some issues with a laptop they were using, that also had the latest release of Linux Mint installed on it, so I gave it a go. And like five minutes later, everything was working fine. All of that bleeping time I wasted for nothing. Live and learn. Ha ha ha.

Members online

Latest posts