Linux Miscellany

Castle Robin

Reaction score
Credits
For MX Linux, is there an equivalent of Windows’ Character Map?;

Is there a Linux equivalent of Speccy for technical specifications?

Technical specs

Code:
 inxi -Fxz

(In Terminal)

For MX Linux, is there an equivalent of Windows’ Character Map?;
It depends on your DE. On KDE Plasma, you have KCharSelect:
Screenshot_20220911_120758.png

If you use Gnome or Xfce, look under the menu "Utilities" for something similar.

For MX Linux,

Is there a Linux equivalent of Speccy for technical specifications?
Similar to CPU-Z

CPU-X

Open Synaptic Package Manager and in the search box type in cpu-x and see if it pops up and if it does tick the mark for installation box.

Or

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command to install CPU-X it may be in the MX-Linux repository.

Code:
sudo apt install cpu-x

Last edited by a moderator:
David, which version of MX and which DE, may I ask?

Chris

Similar to CPU-Z

CPU-X

Open Synaptic Package Manager and in the search box type in cpu-x and see if it pops up and if it does tick the mark for installation box.

Or

Open the terminal and copy and paste this command to install CPU-X it may be in the MX-Linux repository.

Code:
sudo apt install cpu-x
I'll also explore this CPU-X option.

Thanks to you and the others for each of your information.

DE = Desktop Environment, such as gnome, KDE, and XFCE etc. They differ from using just a window manager such as openbox, i3, awesome, dwm, herbstluftwm etc. DE's are fully featured with lots of buttons to push to achieve lots of different functions whereas window managers are more one dimensional and largely just stick to managing the movements, sizes etc. of windows on the screen. That's roughly it I'd say.

Last edited:
Like what he said ^^
;)

DE = Desktop Environment, such as gnome, KDE, and XFCE etc. They differ from using just a window manager such as openbox, i3, awesome, dwm, herbstluftwm etc. DE's are fully featured with lots of buttons to push to achieve lots of different functions whereas window managers are more one dimensional and largely just stick to managing the movements, sizes etc. of windows on the screen. That's roughly it I'd say.
Although I've been using Linux on and off over the past few years, nowadays I use MX Linux, XFCE version.

Out of the DEs you've quoted, I recognize Openbox, but have never used it.

That's a WM (Window Manager) and not a DE, just to lessen some confusion.

Edit: I was too slow. Jas beat me to the punch by a few seconds.

Jas has quick hands - he's a drummer. :)

Members online