Linux Newb needs help with streaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratblue

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All.

I have just installed Elementary OS on to an old computer with a Gigabyte z77x u5dh motherboard and a few SSDs, this is the 3rd time for reasons that will remain obscure...The first two times I could watch stuff on 123Hulu.com whilst engaging in concentrated guitar scale practice but this time the site just refuses to play. I can play the site on the Macbook but not on the Linux box using Firefox or the bundled browser that comes with Odin, the timer display remains stubbornly at 0.00. The firewall is off.

Thanks.

Hi stratblue,
Welcome to Linux.Org.
I believe that the problem may be the need to install extra codecs. You can try this command in a terminal and see if it works.
Code:
sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
I do not run elementary so not sure but believe it's based on ubuntu and does not install them by default. Also if VLC is not installed I would install it as it pulls some additional codecs that may be needed. Good luck.

Thanks for that, I tried it but still no luck. I have VLC installed.

When I tried to access that sight in Firefox it told me I need a flash player install. And I would not install it so no video. Flash is not going to be support much longer and is a hugh security risk. Most likely why that site is being blocked. You can install flash in a firefox extention but I would not do it my self.
Good Luck.

I was able to pirate the first and only movie I tried at that site. I used AdBlock and Chromium for this.

The first video didn't play. I had to select a different source by scrolling down and picking a different source. In this case, I picked 3 and it played after a small wait for it to buffer.

If it is an actual site like Netflix or Hulu you need widevine for DRM.
If it is a pirate site it is against the TOS, in which case the thread should be locked.

Yeah, it probably should be locked now that @craigevil mentions it. I read it as streaming difficulty in general and that was one specific site that they had issues with - but my reading may well have been wrong 'cause it was pretty rushed.

So... Let's first see if it's salvageable.

Is it just this one site or are you having streaming issues in general?

Locked. If OP can salvage this thread (meaning non-pirate sites don't work and that it's a general streaming problem) then they can PM me and I'll clean up the thread and reopen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online