Linux on a tablet

Jim43

Reaction score
Credits
While I am not an absolute noob about Linux or the general Unix operating system, I do have a question about two tablet computers that I own. Both of those tablets were configured and sold with the Windows operating system. On one of the tablets, if I turn it on it will attempt to do an 'update' to the OS but will stall and give a warning to the effect that there is not enough free space available to install all of the updates that need to be downloaded. The other tablet is a little older and I really don't worry (or even think) about that one very much. My main computer is a Dell that was running Windows 10, but is now running Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS. My question is: Not really knowing the available RAM or storage available in either of the tablets, is there a version of Linux that can make them usable again? I have a USB data transfer cable that can be used between the main computer and either of the tablets to load files on the tablet. I also have GParted on the main computer and would use that to clean and reformat whatever amount of internal storage there might be. I welcome suggestions on which version might be better (or best) for use in a small tablet (screen size on one is less than 9 inches, and the other is about 10.5 inches). Thank you for any help.
Jim43

Can you tell us the MAKE and MODEL of the tablets please?

On one of the tablets, if I turn it on it will attempt to do an 'update' to the OS but will stall and give a warning to the effect that there is not enough free space available to install all of the updates that need to be downloaded.

this is not as uncommon as you think. Same issue on a friends laptop and my wife laptop has only 30 gig on HD which is at the point of treaching the max once Windows does updates. If you stand back and think manufacturer know HD size; they must know that Windows 10 takes 30gig they know that the PC will soon be useless since Windows needs to download more than the capacity of the hd on the laptop /pc.

I'm a bit old school but I would catagorize that as "criminal"

One tablet is a HP Stream 8. I have this one in a small case that has a Bluetooth keyboard for ease in entering text. The other tablet is a nextbook, model number NX008HD8G. The nextbook has about 791 MB available. But it also has several of my personal audio CDs ready to play while working. The HP is the tablet that I know very little about as far as available memory for program updates or new programs (apps).
Thank you.
Jim43

Members online