linux on chrombook but slightly different

Stupidchromebookboi

Reaction score
Credits
hi so i currently own a chromebook and an external HDD. I am currently trying to install linux on the External HDD so that if i dont have it plugged in the only thing on the chromebook is chrome os, but if i plug the hard drive in it will automatically default to linux. Is this possible, and if so how would i go about doing it? Thanks much in advance

Maybe yes, maybe no. I don't know a whole lot about chromebooks but I can give you some ideas.

However I am in Australia and have to go for the evening, back tomorrow someone else may have some good input, no doubt :)

Welcome to linux.org :D

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz ... that's DownUnder :rolleyes:

One time i put a usb with ubuntu on the stick into a chromebook. It just booted to the login screen for chromebook. So i dont think it would work. But it does on windows :)

Shipthepilot

Change boot order on a Chromebook

Plug in your live Linux USB into the other USB port. Power on the Chromebook and press Ctrl + L to get to the BIOS screen. Press ESC when prompted and you will see 3 drives: the USB 3.0 drive, the live Linux USB drive (I am using Ubuntu) and the eMMC (the Chromebooks internal drive). Choose the live Linux USB drive.

I have a Samsung chrome book I was almost going to have a Linux powered chrome book by something I did involved a password I couldn't get past.

Members online