Linux on external SSD

Jeffrey Lapinski

Reaction score
Credits
I may have asked this before so I apologize if this is a duplicate post. I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 7 it is a great laptop except for, yes Windows. I do need Windows for work purposes but I'd love to be able to a a Linux system to use on the Surface Pro. Any suggestions on the best way to set up a system on an external SSD so I can use Linux anytime I want and still be able to use Windows when needed?

Thanks!

Jeffrey, I don't have an answer for your question but I am going to move this to Linux Hardware so it does not disappear off into the boonies.

Nice to see you - hang onto your hat and we'll take a magic carpet ride.

Wizard

The benefit of an SSD is speed, not space. They act the same as a regular hard drive, so you can install windows and linux on them as usual. If you want lots of space and you don't want to pay a lot for it, get a regular hard drive. You can pick the OS to boot into at the GRUB screen. It's as simple as that. When installing you can choose which drive will have the GRUB boot loader on it. Just pick the Linux drive. You are over complicating things for yourself.

Members online