Linux on Tablets

T

Thaddeus Fernandes

Hi all,

has anyone installed Linux on a TAB>

ive got a win 8 tab (Intel c22l hardware) Planning to install a linux version like elementary OS / Linux Mint / Ubuntu but not yet decided

wanted a frank opinion from all on board.

Still prefer Windows over linux coz all apps are easy to download & install. No CLI required.

Trying to learn linux & finally want to be a 100% linux user

-HP6930b
Dualboot - Elementary OS, Win 7 Prof.

Hi all,

has anyone installed Linux on a TAB>

ive got a win 8 tab (Intel c22l hardware) Planning to install a linux version like elementary OS / Linux Mint / Ubuntu but not yet decided

wanted a frank opinion from all on board.

Still prefer Windows over linux coz all apps are easy to download & install. No CLI required.

Trying to learn linux & finally want to be a 100% linux user

-HP6930b
Dualboot - Elementary OS, Win 7 Prof.
Windows 8 tablets can only run Windows 8 due to Microsoft locking down the devices. It is required by MS and the manufacturers have to.

Windows 8 tablets can only run Windows 8 due to Microsoft locking down the devices. It is required by MS and the manufacturers have to.

I concur!

If the "tab" is branded with the Windows8 logo factory secure boot has been put in place and can't be changed by the user. This is explained in full on technet.mircosft.com if you search "secure boot".

I spent a lot of time dealing with secure boot and it was a learning curve to say the least, but I hate desktop support anyway.

Some PC/Laptops branded with the Windows8 logo can support the option to disable secure boot and allow Linux to be loaded but individual models vary. Also they are not always the best options to run Linux on simply because the hardware is designed for Windows, but it is often do-able from the great support from the Linux community.

And what about installing Linux on tab with following parameters modified for android:

CPU model quad-core NVIDIA Tegra K1 2.2GHz ARM Cortex-A15 processor
GPU model 192 NVIDIA CUDA ® architecture core NVIDIA Kepler ™ GPU

And what about installing Linux on tab with following parameters modified for android:

CPU model quad-core NVIDIA Tegra K1 2.2GHz ARM Cortex-A15 processor
GPU model 192 NVIDIA CUDA ® architecture core NVIDIA Kepler ™ GPU
You have a better chance with Android devices for sure.

Members online