Linux on toshiba?? I killed win 7!

R

renedear40

Is it possible to download Linux to my Toshiba L505, which tells me that I wiped out WIN 7? I don't know what I did, but????? no O.S. shows up, no reboot disk for WIN 7! i NOW HAVE A $569.00 PAPERWEIGHT!! NOT PRETTY!!! thanks

You don't just download Linux to your computer and install it like any other software. Download the ISO file and burn it to a CD (if under 700 MB) or DVD (if larger than 700 MB) as an "image" (not data!). Then reboot the computer with your new Linux LiveCD in the drive and during the startup sequence (usually the manufacturer's logo) you'll see something like "F12 (or F-whatever else) for Boot Options." Hit it a few times quickly before that manufacturer's screen disappears and it will bring up a menu of options. Choose "boot from CD-ROM" and hit ENTER. Now you're running Linux, but it'll be slower than normal. Depending on the Linux distro you have chosen, you'll find options to explore or "Install to your computer." Choose the latter and proceed carefully, understanding the directions before you click "Okay." If Windows is still there, you'll find an option to install Linux alongside it or in place of it.

Artim

Artims response is right.
By the way the same thing happened to my Toshiba, It shut itself down and when I tried to boot it, it has no OS! I was able to get it working by using the warranty, although I could have probably found a fix. Now I run Elementary OS. I'm new to Open-Source OS's, I have tried them in the past but not as my main machine like now!

Last edited:
Hmm curious before you shut it down was you hearing any screeching noises? Or when you turned it back on did you hear any?

I was tempted to write a serious reply until I saw that the Original Post was dated 30th April...

Always be aware when there is no Windows CD that there may be a Windows Restore Partition. If you install Linux and tell it to use the whole disk it will do exactly that and destroy any Windows Restore Partition.

Members online