Linux on Windows 8 (UEFI) using Grub.cfg ~~HELP NEEDED ~~

J

J.Sickness

Ugh.... this forum will not allow me to add any /'s or any \'s to my post.... so this post will mostlikely be pointless as i dont know many people who will actually open the .txt files i attached. but ill give it a shot any ways.

Im having issues with the grub.cfg file (booting Kali linux)
Im currently using windows 8 (UEFI) and have grabbed the .efi files form Ubuntu...

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF TECHNOLOGY! READ MY .TXT FILES AND HELP ME OUT!!!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

-J.Sickness

Attachments

• Grub.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 1,359
  • My post.txt
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,029

Okay, the easiest way to accomplish a dual boot with Windows 8 (or 7) is to install grub to the root partition. Then use EasyBCD to chainload grub from the Windows boot loader.
http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD

So, remove the files you added to /boot/efi. Load the live disk again and install grub to the root partiton.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing#via_the_LiveCD_terminal
(should work with kali disk)
sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt && sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdXY
(if you have seperate /home partitions then it may be best to just reinstall Kali. When you get to the boot loader section of the installer, just make sure it is installed to the root partition)
Now in Windows install EasyBCD and let it auto-detect grub. Make sure to add it to the menu. Reboot and select the menu entry for Kali. Done.

This is how I dual-boot Windows 7 and Arch on my laptop.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I don't know why i did not think of using Easy BCD (I guess i figured it wouldn't work)
Ive used BCD before (With BIOS) but am a little confused about Chain booting (UEFI) I will take a look at the link you provided when i get home.

Thanks again!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

I don't know why i did not think of using Easy BCD (I guess i figured it wouldn't work)
Ive used BCD before (With BIOS) but am a little confused about Chain booting (UEFI) I will take a look at the link you provided when i get home.

Thanks again!
Chainloading is when one boot loader loads (links to) another. EasyBCD will do it for you. :)

Members online