Linux.org Detects My Adblocker?

blackneos940

Reaction score
Credits
First, let me state this: I have nothing against ads, sponsors, etc.. I also want to support every Site I visit. :) But what worries me is ads that track me, and how it might be the case that scores of third-parties may or may not have their own privacy policies. I trust all of you here. But currently, I see no easy way to whitelist a Site whose members I know well, on one level or another, while still blocking Sites ads' and Scripts that can be (VERY) harmful, that also use the same Scripts and/or services like Amazon or Google for analytics. Also, my Computer business is still on the runway, not taking off... I get one client every year. So you can imagine how I can't support people's Websites via donation either. :( It's because of my parent working all their life that I can live off of something.... This isn't to garner pity. I'm actually progressing, little-by-little. :) But what I am trying to say is that every time I see a message like I just saw, I feel bad. I don't like Trackers, but I also don't like not helping people pay for their free-to-visit Websites. And, @Rob, I want to know how to do this. :) Is there any way I can support this Website without third parties tracking me? :) I have a working knowledge-set on how the Internet works, but when it comes to the small things like Scripts and reading Network traffic, I'm not as good..... I started using an Adblocker because of the PUPs I got, and because of redirection to Servers that downloaded Files to my Drive.... But they may use the same analytics Platform you use, you know? :( People assume that those who use Adblockers hate ANY ads. I don't.... People have to make a living. I like privacy-respecting ads, or, if I know the people who own the Site(s), I don't mind whitelisting them.... Any ideas guys? :) Thank you for taking the time to read this.....

Hey there :)

I think with most, you can whitelist various sites that you visit frequently.. some may not allow it though :/

The biggest way to support linux.org is to be a part of the conversations - try to help where you can, etc.. :)

Thanks for reaching out!

I think with most, you can whitelist various sites that you visit frequently.. some may not allow it though :/

The biggest way to support linux.org is to be a part of the conversations - try to help where you can, etc.. :)

Thanks for reaching out!
Ok Rob. :) Thanks for understanding..... :) I would like to buy some of your books someday, when my Linux-powered business gets more customers. :) But for now, money is an issue.... I'll look into whitelisting this Site, ok? :) Oh, hey! In your signature! Your eBook! :) I bet I can ask Mom if I can get it! :) I have Autism, so we live together. :) She edits photos and I deal with Computers 'n stuff. :3 I'll ask her as soon as she gets back! :)

Thanks for reaching out!
@Rob @blackneos940
Thanks for bringing this up blackneos940. I've been intending to ask about it.
I always use ad-blockers and script blockers for security, privacy, and aesthetic purposes as I browse the web.
A few days ago while I was testing out a new install of a Linux distro I saw for the first time the angry red ad-blocker notice on linux.org. It is easy enough to block but it got me to thinking and so I want to reach out to the admins here at linux.org.
@Rob , linux.org admins, et al, as I choose to keep my ad-blocker and script blocker devices in place - what would be an equivalent amount of money to donate to linux.org to replace the ad revenue lost from my use of an ad-blocker? Serious question.
I asked the same question over at majorgeeks.com as I ran into a similar situation.
I am not looking for a "free ride" and fully expect to pay my way and/or compensate those sites I like, use, and enjoy. I have donated to numerous sites and software projects over the years.
What would be a fair amount to donate to linux.org in lieu of seeing ads?

@Rob @blackneos940
Thanks for bringing this up blackneos940. I've been intending to ask about it.
I always use ad-blockers and script blockers for security, privacy, and aesthetic purposes as I browse the web.
A few days ago while I was testing out a new install of a Linux distro I saw for the first time the angry red ad-blocker notice on linux.org. It is easy enough to block but it got me to thinking and so I want to reach out to the admins here at linux.org.
@Rob , linux.org admins, et al, as I choose to keep my ad-blocker and script blocker devices in place - what would be an equivalent amount of money to donate to linux.org to replace the ad revenue lost from my use of an ad-blocker? Serious question.
I asked the same question over at majorgeeks.com as I ran into a similar situation.
I am not looking for a "free ride" and fully expect to pay my way and/or compensate those sites I like, use, and enjoy. I have donated to numerous sites and software projects over the years.
What would be a fair amount to donate to linux.org in lieu of seeing ads?
Good idea! :) I bet even I could throw some money here or there at Rob, and anyone else involved! :) I always think about huge things, but I seldom think about doing little things. :)

Hey guys - I actually added it to see what it'd look like and see if some people would / could just whitelist us, but I totally understand the privacy concerns..

You don't have to do any donations or anything like that.. heh. You're both active here and that helps out very much.

If you're set on helping out w/ the costs, etc.. we do have an option of membership upgrades if you'd like - there's a link at the top of the site with more info on that.

I appreciate you guys asking about it - thanks again!

Rob

Right after posting my previous comment I did go and look at the membership info.
Should have done that *before* posting! :rolleyes: oops

Staff online

Members online