Linux OS which supports dial-up

Vicktoria,

My apologies of posting late on this thread, but wanted to let you know your not alone in the land of dial up.

I also am stuck in the land of dial up because I refuse to pay the cost of running a DSL line that uses my house electric to provide power ,pay high cost for cable or satellite bundled TV/ISP or the high cost electric co-op fiber ISP line run that is proposed since I am at the end of the last phone company maintained landline box by almost 2 miles.

As you , I have been absent from here as I migrated a number of folks with high speed ISP from windows to flavors of Linux with advice I got from the Gurus here, but although able to keep their Linux OS machines up, here I am still having issues even with my Linux out of the box ready USB 56k modem.

With the end of extended support of this MSW 8.1 only 8 months away, I spoke with the tech support guy with my current low cost dial up ISP and he told me of a Linux 20 textbook for desktop and administrator by Richard Peterson he used on upgrading their Linux systems and he said if after reading it as I did the Unix texts decades ago it should improve my functionality with their dial in server.

I am far from being a Linux Guru , but have done well with the advice from the folks here in loading MX and Mint on about 50 former windows PCs for friends and friends of theirs with DSL and tired of MS over the last couple years without lobotomizing any machines.

hopefully the book I ordered will help me get my dial up dongle working with Linux with some tweaking as I made it work with this MS OS on my $40 a month phone line that works during power outages in my land of copper phone lines , free over the air TV and $10 dial up. :)

Puppy Linux -- specifically, Fossapup64, may be your best bet, depending on the machine chosen.

All puppy distro versions have dial-up. This is the latest version based on ubuntu and the repos are available.

Puppy is a different breed of Linux, so there is a learning curve even if other distros are known. It's very handy at troubleshooting and reclaiming lost files after an OS crash, among other things. I don't know what I would do without it, occassionally.

Get to know it and you'll always find a reason to come back to it.

FYI: Fossapup64 9.5 Discussion
Review of the same

Last edited:
Vicktoria,

My apologies of posting late on this thread, but wanted to let you know your not alone in the land of dial up.

I also am stuck in the land of dial up because I refuse to pay the cost of running a DSL line that uses my house electric to provide power ,pay high cost for cable or satellite bundled TV/ISP or the high cost electric co-op fiber ISP line run that is proposed since I am at the end of the last phone company maintained landline box by almost 2 miles.

As you , I have been absent from here as I migrated a number of folks with high speed ISP from windows to flavors of Linux with advice I got from the Gurus here, but although able to keep their Linux OS machines up, here I am still having issues even with my Linux out of the box ready USB 56k modem.

With the end of extended support of this MSW 8.1 only 8 months away, I spoke with the tech support guy with my current low cost dial up ISP and he told me of a Linux 20 textbook for desktop and administrator by Richard Peterson he used on upgrading their Linux systems and he said if after reading it as I did the Unix texts decades ago it should improve my functionality with their dial in server.

I am far from being a Linux Guru , but have done well with the advice from the folks here in loading MX and Mint on about 50 former windows PCs for friends and friends of theirs with DSL and tired of MS over the last couple years without lobotomizing any machines.

hopefully the book I ordered will help me get my dial up dongle working with Linux with some tweaking as I made it work with this MS OS on my $40 a month phone line that works during power outages in my land of copper phone lines , free over the air TV and $10 dial up. :)
Ubuntu or any OS based on Ubuntu should have ( modemmanager ) installed by default which is a D-Bus service for modems - if you want a GUI for it you can install ( modem-manager-gui ) which you can get through the Synaptic Package Manager or type in the terminal
Code:
sudo apt install modem-manager-gui
it is a simple graphical interface for ModemManager, Wader and oFono daemon D-Bus interfaces. It can send, receive and store SMS messages, send USSD requests and read answers in GSM7 and UCS2 formats, and scan for available mobile networks.

Members online