Linux OS which supports dial-up

Refurbished Dell Latitude E6440,
Built for the business market this is a nice solid bit of kit that should last a few years, take your pick ,it will run any Linux you fancy and should not be any problems component wise.

Bwiz

Brickwizard thanks for the input. I did order that Dell. So now I can decide which distro I want to play with.

Hello Captain, Good to hear from you again. Thanks for the guidance. It seem most distros will support dial-up with wvdial. I'm looking for distro now.

In Ubuntu
you can find in System => Administration => Networking, will let you set up the ppp connection in a graphical interface. You have to know your device name, ISP phone number, username and password to set it up.
Open Network Manager (System => Administration => Network)
Select the Connections tab.
Select Modem Connection
Choose Properties and fill out the fields.
Click OK
Select the DNS tab.
Click add, enter your DNS address.
Click Close.
You can also use the Gnome Modem Monitor and Network Monitor panel applets if you want to stop, start and monitor modem connections without opening the Networking GUI every time.

You have to know your device name, ISP phone number, username and password to set it up.
blimey that brings back memories [ your making a happy man feel very old]:p

In Ubuntu
you can find in System => Administration => Networking, will let you set up the ppp connection in a graphical interface. You have to know your device name, ISP phone number, username and password to set it up.
Open Network Manager (System => Administration => Network)
Select the Connections tab.
Select Modem Connection
Choose Properties and fill out the fields.
Click OK
Select the DNS tab.
Click add, enter your DNS address.
Click Close.
You can also use the Gnome Modem Monitor and Network Monitor panel applets if you want to stop, start and monitor modem connections without opening the Networking GUI every time.
Great, Thanks. The machine should be here in a week and I'll get it going with a networking GUI so that I can see if we're connecting at our fastest 28K or anywhere from, 26 to 12k :eek:

wvdial (see pic below)

Available on Linux Mint 20.2

Seeing this is dialup it may be a good idea to use xfce (desktop environment for LM20.2)....It is somewhat lighter then cinnamon and mate)

Download Here

wvdial
wvdial.png

Hello Friends. I have acquired a machine for Linux...Dell Latitude E6550 laptop refurbished, Core i5-4300M 2.6GHz, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, DVDRW. I'm looking at Mint and Ubuntu, leaning towards Mint. This machine has Win 10 Pro on it and evidently wants me to install it. I turned it on then off till I get guidance on the best way to kick Windows off and clean install Cinnamon 20, I guess. How should I proceed please, in step by step detail. I'll do a search on forum tomorrow when I get to hispeed. I was trying to post this to the general community, yet I crashed windows on my HP and need to get to hispeed tomorrow and re-download opera and the rest of the programs in use. So this Edge, which I've never used before is very slow on dial-up, this post was the best I could do. Looking forward to leaving win10 in the dust. Thanks for all your work.

Umm, and the point of the above is, Brian?

Dumb Wizard, maybe a beer will fix that. :)

It may take a few beers, methinks

I received that blurb from Vicktoria, via PM this morning......I have simply copied and pasted it to here

Thanks for clarifying that, Mate ... or if you are a wine drinker

claretifying

Having lived on an Island I really understand limited Internet access options. The ferry would stop running at 7:30pm and started up at 5:30am. I would get calls where I would get in a car and race for the last boat. Usually to get into the office perform an hour or two of work and either sleep at my desk or get a hotel. Eventually had to move due to lack of Internet. I'm sure you will be able to come up with support for a modem. I still have a modem in a desktop pc. I got rid of floppies and CD drives through numerous upgrades just could not bring myself to toss the modem..... :)

Thanks Condobloke. I tried all night to get the reply box to download last night. Waited for an hour...Grrrr, without success. I was on dialup on the Dell. It is connecting yet so very slow something isn't right as we can get 28K connection with this HP Win10 machine. So again I do appreciate all suggestions. Will add your links to my study material.

I have other questions. I want a front end GUI for wvdial and need access to 'apt-get' to download GnomePPP, or KPPP, or GtkPPP or some other pkg that would work. How can I get these packages?
Is there a way to have multiple desktops in Uma? I thought maybe 'workspace' did that yet I'm not working it properly if it does.

I believe 53k is the fastest limit in Australia on dial-up because the line voltage of the telephone system is 50V, - it is 90 volt ring voltage here in the USA with 48 volt line power hence you can have hardware compression (V.92/V.44) which gave you 56.0 to 320.0 kbit/s that is variable - the only way to get faster modems, is to raise the line voltage.

We love info thanks. Yeah, I'd be happy to see anything close to that. Still stuck. That wvdial, or gnu ppp conf, or pppconf, or something must be off. I am unfortunately clueless, and so far research is not helping this issue.

Members online

Latest posts