Linux took 300 GB from HDD

M

MattKimura

Hi, I just successfully installed Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit on my computer as a separate OS from Windows 7, everything is working great, but I have one problem.

I had 600 GB of free space before installing it, I have a 1 TB HDD. It says that I have 300 of 600 GB free. Before, it would say 600 GB of 900.
Is there any way to install Linux without it taking all my HDD space?

Is there any way to free up space without uninstalling it? If not, how do I correctly uninstall Linux and get my space back?

There are a couple of ways you can fix your problem. First, you can remove Linux and reinstall, but you have already said you prefer not to do that. However, this may be your best option if you do not know much about computers. Before you reinstall, I can tell you how to create the partions first so that they are the exact size that you want. Then install to the apropriate partition.

Second, you can shrink Linux whick will give you free space at the end. You can then format this into a new partion for NTFS. Then, using Windows Disk Manager, combine the new partion and the C: drive. This method is probably the best, but requires more steps. I could boot up a Win7 virtual drive to give you specific steps on how to do this, but know right now because I am at work.

Third option, Shrink Linux but this time add space at the begining. Then grow the Windows partition to take up the free space. I have done this in the past and had no problems. I have also done this in the past and had issues that I had to fix on both OSs. This is the simplest if it works right, but it is also the longest and also has the most potential to give you headaches.

Fourth, back up your operating system (Linux), delete the partition, grow Windows to the size you want, create a partion on the space that is left over and restore the backup to that partition. This may be the best option if you have an external drive that you can back up to or if you don't have a lot of extra stuff on your computer and can make a backup iso that will fit on a DVD.

Let me know if you want to try any of these options and I can give you better step-by-step instructions. Or, you can wait to see if someone has a better solution. Also, can you copy and paste the result of the following comand for us?

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

That is a lowercase L at the end, not an i or 1.

Members online