Linux usb bootable / dual booting not working

kphamtom

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I am writing here since I am trying to have my laptops to run on Linux but they are not able to no matter what I do, I have changed the configurations for the BIOS, I have tried the modification of the grub when it start but all I get is a loud noise and then the machines reset, someone mentioned that I should do something with the SysLinux but I do not know how to proceed, I also need the machines to run kali from USB due to school/work.

I have a lenovo thinkpad E485 and MSI Apache Pro Ge626QD.

I do not know if my machines are just not able to run or if they simply can.

all help is greatly appreciated.

Plug in your Kali Linux Live usb and start up your laptop.
Go into the BIOS under boot order and set your machine to boot to usb.
Make the usb the first choice in the boot order, save the changes and reboot.

If the boot order is correct your Kali Linux should boot.

SysLinux is a different kind of bootloader aside from Grub.
You would have to perform a series of tasks to get SysLinux working. (see the link below)
If you can install a Linux distro with ease Grub should work well unless your in a dual boot with Windows.

If in a dual boot with Windows you'll have to boot into Linux and run update-grub as root in order to update Grub. Once done than you can choose which os you want to boot into.

Did you disable the quick boot and the secure boot before installing Linux?

Did you install to the MBR and did you shrink the other os that came with the laptops before installing Linux?

What os did the Lenovo Thinkpad and the Apache Pro come with?

I have what you mentioned above to no avail, I will follow the link you have given me for the syslinux, I am not dual booting but I am trying to run the linux and kali as USB since I use the laptops for school and work, they are both running the latest update of windows 10.

I will let you know if this works and thank you for the help :D

I have what you mentioned above to no avail, I will follow the link you have given me for the syslinux, I am not dual booting but I am trying to run the linux and kali as USB since I use the laptops for school and work, they are both running the latest update of windows 10.

I will let you know if this works and thank you for the help :D
Ok sounds good.

If you still have trouble getting Kali to work you may just have to install it in a dual boot with Windows 10. However; to do that you will have to shrink your Windows 10 partition first in order to have room for Kali Linux.

Did you use Rufus in order to make the Kali Linux usb stick bootable?

Members online