Linux utility /tool to display historical performance data (like sar) but along with the command/process

linuxgeek

Reaction score
Credits
Is there any Linux utility /tool to display historical performance data (like sar) but along with the command/process ? All i need is for a previous day want to see cpu, memory, disk usage process wise along with the command . So basically a tool that consolidates ps, sar information. Please share any such tool details that can be safer to install on Enterprise linux servers.

Thank you for the response. Will grafana show historical details along with the command/process that was running/consuming?

Last edited:
Only stats which has been collected and forwarded to Grafana, so not commands. You can try it out here to get an idea of what kind of stats you can see but you can probably add more depending on what stats you configure your client to forward to the Grafana server.

Just for the monitoring of metrics alone we already have various tools in place. What we are looking for is a tool that also captures the commands/job wise cpu, memory , disk space utilization . We are basically trying to find out who is the culprit when system goes out of resources not on real time basis but for previous/ past days

I don't know if any tools look what commands or jobs are running only metrics on the system, maybe one of these alternatives?
At where I work we use nagios/nrpe to monitor system memory and load usuage, when we get an alert that the system is getting low on memory we just login and see what process is using the most memory what user the process belongs to. If that is not an option you could write a script that writes that information on a regular interval to a log file on the sysystem.

Last edited:
I just came across atop maybe that can do what you are looking for?
Atop is an ASCII full-screen performance monitor for Linux that is capable of reporting the activity of all processes (even if processes have finished during the interval), daily logging of system and process activity for long-term analysis, highlighting overloaded system resources by using colors, etc. At regular intervals, it shows system-level activity related to the CPU, memory, swap, disks (including LVM) and network layers, and for every process (and thread) it shows e.g. the CPU utilization, memory growth, disk utilization, priority, username, state, and exit code.

I just came across atop maybe that can do what you are looking for?
This looks interesting and I'm now testing this. Thanks for your responses. I also need to analyze the impact of this tool and disk log usage over the period of time.

Last edited:

Members online