Linux/vbox/USB

J

jonnyc

New linux user.
I've hit a brick wall trying to get my VM to see my USB ports. And, from what I've seen on the Web,so have a heck of a lot of other users. Been doing a LOT of web browsing over the last few days. I've installed Mint 17.1,so I thought I'd try the Mint site whence I was sent via the "Welcome" screen to the chat room to be given a registration code. Gave up on that after a few unsuccesses. ( Beginning to understand why the latest post I could find there was 4 years old.)
Here's where I'm at.
I have installed Virtual Box and Win 7 as a VM.
Rebooted the VM to safe mode and installed VBox Guest Additions. This seemed OK; my graphics acceleration then worked.
Then, as per an online suggestion, I added myself to the Vboxusers group.
And some other tool or process which I added without really knowing what I was doing, and whose name I forget now.
Still no USB devices found. And this is probably the root of my printer problems.
When I first installed Mint I had a problem of it not seeing my current Win 7 installation. This turned out to be Ubuntu-specific; Fedora saw it and dual-booted no prob.
I wonder if this current problem is also Ubuntu specific?

ANY help would be MUCH appreciated!

JC
Thanks! Trouble is that screen doesn't exist in Mint (as others have found), and you have to install the Guest Additions from Oracle Virtual Box Manager which gives me the (non) result
I have at present! Bear in mind I'm a complete tyro at all this,and maybe it's just down to my lack of experience and inability to find it!
I have another sparedrive on this M/C so I'm going to give Fedora another try and see how I get on. In any case I have 9 or 10 flash drives and numerous other USB devices and I don't want to have to install everything separately if I can help it.
Anything salient I come up with I'll post here.
Thanks again.

JC

Last edited:

Members online