listing packages with yum or apt-get

A

animaguy

does anyone know the commands to list packages on yum or apt-get.

i know yum grouplist on CentOS and like it cause I like to remove group packages that I do not use.

I use the | tee to list the output on a .txt file to study the groups.

But I can't find any commands to list single installed packages on CentOS.

I also use Linux Mint and would like to know of any similiar commands that list either group or single packages and | tee the output to a .txt file if this is possible.

I like to take notes like this as I learn to customize and experiment with different packages.

And if anyone knows how to list repositories, that would be great if you could share that as well.

any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

search engines are friends of yours -- use them (we all had to)

Also, see Fred's and others' How2's here, below.

thanks, fair advice.

i found

yum list all | tee boot.txt

which was what i was looking for in rpm

still looking for the apt-get equivalent

OP said, " . . . commands to list single installed packages on CentOS."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Download and install the rpm forge release, which will enable YUM to access:

wget http://packages.sw.be/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm
rpm -i rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm

After this is installed (it takes a long time), you can install APT.

You should now be able to use apt-get and install the apt repositories.
You will have to add your sources at /etc/apt/sources.list.d or to /etc/apt/sources.list

SOURCE: http://support.rightscale.com/06-FAQs/FAQ_0063_-_How_can_I_use_apt-get_on_CentOS_based_images?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(italics mine)

thanks pane-free I am a little side tracked right now with learning network config issues but this thread is a great reference as I learn the overall structure of linux.

i am focused on learning both yum and apt-get

thanks again

On Fedora (probably works on CentOS too) I routinely use yum search to find a package to install. For example, this command lists lots and lots of editors and editor helper packages:
Code:
yum search editor
If I want to see information about a package before I install it, I do this:
Code:
yum info joe
And to install (if you don't have sudo setup, then use su first):
Code:
sudo yum install joe
Once it's installed, I can see all about it and what files it includes with the rpm command:
Code:
rpm -qil joe
But if I want to peek inside the package without installing it, I use the little-know repoquery command:
Code:
repoquery -il joe | less

search engines are friends of yours -- use them (we all had to)
Yeah, but that's not helpful. He asked for help.

Members online