Live boot works but can´t boot after install

jbb0906

Reaction score
Credits
I am using an old Acer 5710 32bit. I had Ubuntu 16 running on it, but after a serious of power failures, it would no longer boot. All I got on the screen was ^[[5~~ covering the screen. I was able to boot several versions of from Ubuntu from versions 15--18.04, from a live disk. I went through the installation to do a clean install. I got the message that I could restart (removing the USB). When I did so, the display runs through the system checks and looks like it is going to boot, but after 4 hours, these checks continue to run. I have tried pausing the scroll to see which ones are OK and which fail, but it will not stop scrolling. I have pulled the hard drive out and run disk analyses on it using another computer, and it doesn´t appear that there are any issues, and I am able to browse the contents in a file manager on that different computer. My questions are: why, if it was running before, am I not able to effectively do a clean install? and Why might it run from a live disk, but not once installed?
Thanks.

Hmmmm......when you say that the system checks are still running after 4 hours, are you sure they're running, or does it just LOOK like they're running......is the system really churning away or is it stalled?
Given that you had several 'power outages' and the incongruous behavior you've cited, it almost seems like you may be experiencing some sort of hardware problem....but that wouldn't explain why you are able to run from USB stick.

Thanks for the reply. Perhaps it is the appearance of the system checks running--not sure. All I can see is a fast scroll of checks that respond with a green "OK" and at the bottom of the screen, is something that is in red, I´m assuming it says failure," but I can´t stop it to see. It appears that it hits a failure and starts again trying to load.
The reason I don´t suspect a hardware failure is that it does run from the live stick. I ran Gparted from the live disk, but when I try to check the drive for errors, it says that "Gpart is not installed." I tried installing it, but it says, it is "already installed." I tried to repair the original install--before I wiped it clean to do a clean install. It got to the screen that says it´s downloading, and froze.

Members online