Logbook Antergos on Machine 1, what to do with Machine 2

C

clockshell

Hey guys!

So I installed Antergos three days ago... this is how it works out for me:

Day 1: Wow... this is an amazing distribution, fast, simple, appealing to the eye. Can't wait to explore it. It has already a few environments installed which enable programming in different languages. It even revived my old but still strongest machine which I thought it was dead. It seems Win7 completely destroyed the MBR, maybe even a HDD died back then. Even fedora20 was not able to be installed and the machine just gave me strange noises on startup (I shit you not. It was actually a little scary o_O).
Day 2: Had some problems already like installing Catalyst, LibreOffice, setting up keyboard input language, stuff like that. Nothing serious.:rolleyes:
Day 3: I don't know what happend... Anjuta is trying to open and import everything I click on. Media files suddenly prefer to be opened via Windows Media Player which is installed as a dependency in PlayOnLinux (at least this makes sense somehow...) and Gnome3 is not recognized by the shell. I don't even know what that is supposed to mean... it just claims it. Thinking about going back to Manjaro or Debian, or getting Arch-Linux itself as soon as I have finished my works. Spent too much time setting up OSs already.:mad:

Are there any Antergos users around here? For me it looks like an insanely promising project yet immature as hell :\ I think I'll give it a shot again in two years when they have stable servers (oh yeah I almost forgot that part) and integrated a nicely tweaked Gnome3 experience (I actually like the Gnome3 structure... it just looks immature as well to me speaking of efficiency).:(

Now since my mainbox is running smoothly again (in terms of hardware) my Xeon machine is free to use and I have 2x320GB HDDs left over so I am thinking about setting it up as a home file server. I heard great stuff about CentOS as a server distribution but I am not sure I want to set up a server when I jump into Red Hat... some experiences out there? I met somebody who told me just to install plain Ubuntu for it is easy to set up the server then...

I hope you guys can give me some suggestions for my two machines which lead me to a good way :)

Have a nice one!

Antegros is a relatively new Linux distribution but I have never run into issues with it. (Though I prefer the original Arch). You may want to try Manjaro. It is another Arch based distribution but it seems to be more stable. Plus it stays closer to the Arch packaging schemes.

As for home servers I just use Arch on everything... but for new users Ubuntu server is nice. If you NEED a GUI then something light like Lubuntu would be good. I would recommend Fedora Server over CentOS but that is my personal taste. Fedora is really new to the server world and CentOS is a long standing server distribution.
http://manjaro.org/get-manjaro/

Yep, I know Manjaro, I ran it on my Xeon box (look signature. This box is now going to be my home server machine). I liked it. It's just that I wanted to try something else than XFCE and OpenBox but I like native desktop environments or window managers of the distributions. Could be placebo but they feel better implemented and less buggy. Additionally the community versions do not run with the actual 0.8.11 release of Manjaro. So far debian seems to be a good option for me although I like the Arch setup very much.
I don't think I NEED a GUI for I always can put a Laptop next to the server and look up commands or put a small cheatsheet onto it.

I'll clear my mind next week or this weekend already.

Stability is quite important for me so it would be nice, if you share your experiences with that comparing Arch, Manjaro and Debian (those are my top three candidates so far).

Since Manjaro, Arch, and Antegros are all Rolling releases the emphisis is on the latest software and not always on stability.

I still recommend the Manjaro Gnome edition. It will pull the latest packages from the repos so the specific version does not matter. Its sort of like the ArchISO.

We had a night out. Antergos and I are friends now. I believe in it.

I think I am going to try CentOS on the server machine just to take a look at it. I'll keep you up to date :)

Members online