Logitech MX Master 3 - ratchet mode scrolling is working incorrectly

rattlehead

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all. I'd like to first apologize for poor English and expression of thoughts, but it's quite hard for me to express it even in my native one. So, recently, I've faced an issue with Logitech MX Master 3 mouse scrolling. The problem is that "micro" scrolling is done even when I'm hardly touching the mouse wheel. So, with ratchet mode enabled you're supposed to get scrolls only when the wheel makes its tactilely noticeable "steps", but in my case, it looks like it basically works as in freespin mode, just on the mouse itself I can feel these steps. In Windows, the problem is not reproduced, so it doesn't pay any attention to the mouse wheel fluctuating as long as it's performed in the same "ratchet position". I'm using Arch (kernel 5.14.9-arch2-1), with KDE (5.22.5-1) installed. Please let me know what additional information I can provide to at least understand what's going on.

Quick update: on my second machine where I haven't been installing any updates for a while, with Arch (5.9.14-arch1-1) and KDE (5.20.4-2) it seems working correctly, so I'm guessing this happened since the last pacman -Suy

Update #2: in the end, found this MR in libinput git repository: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/libinput/libinput/-/merge_requests/700
which seems to be fixing the issue. Until it's merged and available in the official repository, I switched to evdev driver by installing xf86-input-evdev package and adding
Code:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev pointer catchall"
        MatchIsPointer "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection

Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
        MatchIsKeyboard "on"
        MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
        Driver "evdev"
EndSection
to my X configuration.

So, the topic can be closed.

We don't typically close topics, especially good ones where the person resolves it and posts the solution.

They're great topics for people searching.

Members online