Darhkmir

Reaction score
Credits
I'm looking for a distro that would work well for my system without issues, performance wise mostly, but not looking too terrible. I use my system for playing games (mostly 2d), including windows games as well through Proton and Wine, as well as for video editing and some small-time game development in a none-code engine. It's really old, and it used to be a a School or Office desktop, here's some of my specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (2) @ 3.
  • GPU: Intel 4 Series Chipset
  • RAM: 8gb (DDR3)
  • HDD: 1tb
I don't care whether it's Debian or Ubuntu based etc., all I'm looking for is good performance for my before mentioned tasks, that also doesn't look like it came from the early 2000s. I have used Puppy, Mint, and Peppermint before, and am currently running Zorin OS Lite.

Welcome to the forums
Your 2008 desktop has a 64 bit 3Ghz twin core processor, and is capable of running any Linux version you wish, it may be a bit long in the legs and a little slow compared to more modern CPU's, As always we suggest you download and run live six or seven different distributions with different desktops to see which YOU like the best , and what runs best on your box. Keep in mind a medium or lightweight distribution will be faster than an all singing all dancing one

Welcome to the forums
Your 2008 desktop has a 64 bit 3Ghz twin core processor, and is capable of running any Linux version you wish, it may be a bit long in the legs and a little slow compared to more modern CPU's, As always we suggest you download and run live six or seven different distributions with different desktops to see which YOU like the best , and what runs best on your box. Keep in mind a medium or lightweight distribution will be faster than an all singing all dancing one
I second that, though I wouldn't install anything, I would just use live distros and see which one was the most responsive and used the least system resources.

Eventually though, as your skill rises, you will want to go for a stripped down gentoo installation.

Members online

No members online now.