Looking for a lite version of Linux & USB bootable

Vindication787

Reaction score
Credits
Hey everyone I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm looking for least resource hungry version of Linux that I can install with a USB that will install from a USB when Im boring up the computer. I greatly appreciate any help I can get, thank you!

The least resource hungry would be something without a DE, but presumably you are looking for something with a GUI. Is it your first time setting up Linux and/or installing an OS?

Do you want to boot from USB in a live OS, or install from a USB to your hard disk?

Yes, this is my first time setting up Linux but I've set up windows more times than I can count. I would like to get Linux put on both of my comps. One is a gaming PC (still no CD ROM so I would need USB bootable vers.) And the other comp is a laptop that will only be used to browse the internet and check emails.

Ubuntu Game Pack, Elementary OS.

Have a look.

Posting some system specs would help in recommending a suited Linux distro for your computer.

I've attached specs for both my PC and laptop. If I could get advice on what to do with each of them I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Attachments

• DxDiagPC.txt
    94.5 KB · Views: 278
  • DxDiaglaptop.txt
    64.3 KB · Views: 312
your gaming machine has plenty of grunt and should run any distro
your desktop on the other hand only has 1gb ram there are several distro's that will run on 1 gb, but i strongly suggest you upgrade your ram to a minimum of 2 gb for a light or 4gb for a full distro

Bwiz

PS what processor and speed do you have on the desktop

the other comp is a laptop that will only be used to browse the internet and check emails.
One of your computers runs on 1GB RAM and it has Windows 10 installed.
For 1GB RAM, you can run the following:
Ubuntu-based distros: Bodhi Linux, Zorin OS, Linux Lite.
Debian-based distros: Q4OS, antiX

For more details, like the system requirements for each distro mentioned above, you can read this:
Yes, this is my first time setting up Linux but I've set up windows more times than I can count.
For another computer, you have a lot of RAM. So, any distro should be fine. One of these articles can help you along the installation process.

Last edited:
My laptop, the one with only 1G of ram is running on an Intel Atom N450 1.66ghz 512k cache. My desktop is running an Intel i7 @ 4ghz. Thank you for the help btw.

The least resource hungry would be something without a DE, but presumably you are looking for something with a GUI. Is it your first time setting up Linux and/or installing an OS?

Do you want to boot from USB in a live OS, or install from a USB to your hard disk?
I was wanting to install from a USB. Sorry I didn't read that part earlier.

I was wanting to install from a USB. Sorry I didn't read that part earlier
One of your computers runs on 1GB RAM and it has Windows 10 installed.
For 1GB RAM, you can run the following:
Ubuntu-based distros: Bodhi Linux, Zorin OS, Linux Lite.
Debian-based distros: Q4OS, antiX

For more details, like the system requirements for each distro mentioned above, you can read this:

For another computer, you have a lot of RAM. So, any distro should be fine. One of these articles can help you along the installation process.
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

@Vindication787
I normally stand shoulder to shoulder with fellow RAM scroungers, but I have to say 1GB is taking the biscuit!

How on earth did it run Windows 10?

Anyway, you will find a lot of Linux OS that can run on less than 1GB, but some of them might not be the most user friendly, and you'd need to be careful choosing a light browser/etc to run. Puppy, Slitaz, and Debian XFCE would all work with less than 1GB of RAM. The latter being the best, but it does use about 300MB of RAM.

Its probably easiest if you install something easy on the better PC, and get comfortable with Linux first.

My laptop, the one with only 1G of ram is running on an Intel Atom N450 1.66ghz
My acer netbook has an intel atom and 1.5gb ram [max it will take] I run peppermint respin [32 bit]
its a bit slow but works well , i would recomend peppermint as i know it will work, but it is at the end of its life and a new version is still not in the testing stage..

@Vindication787
I normally stand shoulder to shoulder with fellow RAM scroungers, but I have to say 1GB is taking the biscuit!

How on earth did it run Windows 10?

Anyway, you will find a lot of Linux OS that can run on less than 1GB, but some of them might not be the most user friendly, and you'd need to be careful choosing a light browser/etc to run. Puppy, Slitaz, and Debian XFCE would all work with less than 1GB of RAM. The latter being the best, but it does use about 300MB of RAM.

Its probably easiest if you install something easy on the better PC, and get comfortable with Linux first.
LMAO this little guy is trying WAAAY too hard to run windows 10. Trust me. 5 minutes into just sitting on the desktop and you could fry an egg on it.

My acer netbook has an intel atom and 1.5gb ram [max it will take] I run peppermint respin [32 bit]
its a bit slow but works well , i would recomend peppermint as i know it will work, but it is at the end of its life and a new version is still not in the testing stage..
This laptop is also an Acer. I recently had my other 4 laptops stolen and I need some sort of portable comp until I can get another laptop that can pull it's weight

I need some sort of portable comp until I can get another laptop that can pull it's weight
If its only temporary then give Peppermint re-spin a try

I second @Nelson Muntz with Q4OS, a Debian based distro. I use it in my HP notebook which has only 2 GiB of RAM, and it works great. You could install/try Q4OS with Trinity desktop, I have a VM(virtual machine) running that one, the VM has only 1 GiB of RAM and the OS uses around 300 MiB, I can even use Chromium or seamonkey in that one. Read here for more info https://www.q4os.org/downloads1.html scroll down and look for this:
The minimal hardware requirements:
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 128MB RAM / 3GB disk
then if you do decide to give a try, choose Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, live - 64bit / x64
That one, Centaurus, is based on Debian Stable/Buster. The next release, Gemini, based on Debian Bullseye/Testing is available for download as well here https://www.q4os.org/downloads2.html
I'm currently using this one, Gemini.

I second @Nelson Muntz with Q4OS, a Debian based distro. I use it in my HP notebook which has only 2 GiB of RAM, and it works great. You could install/try Q4OS with Trinity desktop, I have a VM(virtual machine) running that one, the VM has only 1 GiB of RAM and the OS uses around 300 MiB, I can even use Chromium or seamonkey in that one. Read here for more info https://www.q4os.org/downloads1.html scroll down and look for this:
The minimal hardware requirements:
Trinity desktop - 300MHz CPU / 128MB RAM / 3GB disk
then if you do decide to give a try, choose Q4OS Centaurus, Trinity, live - 64bit / x64
That one, Centaurus, is based on Debian Stable/Buster. The next release, Gemini, based on Debian Bullseye/Testing is available for download as well here https://www.q4os.org/downloads2.html
I'm currently using this one, Gemini.
Thanks!

Members online