Looking for a place to start.

Sailordawg

Reaction score
Credits
I was introduced to Red Hat years ago. Regretfully, I did not stay with it. I now have time to get back into the game. I am concerned with my security. I have Brave and Express VPN. I want to replace Microsoft. I use QuickBooks for my business. I want an OS that is loaded on my Dell laptop. I have the ability to learn, but I would like something that isn't too heavy to start. Debian looks good. Do you have any suggestions?

Most recommend Mint for beginners, but i didn't see anything difficult with Debian.

if you have dabbled with redhat then beginner probably doesn't apply to you

I would suggest don't rush in wipe or install anything to laptop -yet.

You can run debian from a usb stick and even have persistence with it . For the iso go for the 'with none free" meaning it has the none free firmware . i'll post this then look that up and add on edit

ps there is a free debians handbook available

the iso you want is debian-live-10.9-amd64-xfce+nonefree.iso search there may be a new release

ventoy section about using that iso is here: https://linux.org/threads/usb-linux-boot-ventoy.29944/post-118463

And main thread for being able to boot from a choice of several iso on one stick is here: https://linux.org/threads/usb-linux-boot-ventoy.29944/

There may be space for a dual boot Windows & Linux - somebody later will ask you for the PC specs

Last edited:

A good read.

I use QuickBooks for my business.
Looks like your choices are very limited.. the only supported versions of Linux according to the quickbooks requirement page are versions of..
  • Fedora
  • OpenSuse
  • Red Hat Enterprise
Bwiz

Looks like your choices are very limited.. the only supported versions of Linux according to the quickbooks requirement page are versions of..
  • Fedora
  • OpenSuse
  • Red Hat Enterprise
Bwiz
I can't find Linux support for those... maybe I'm looking at the wrong version/edition. What I find for QuickBooks Desktop versions (2019, 2020, and 2021) is that these editions are Windows only, and they will not even run in a virtual machine. Trying to run under WINE would be fruitless.

If @Sailordawg is using an online QuickBooks subscription, maybe that would work from a web browser in Linux.... I have no idea. You may need to keep a separate Windows computer just for QuickBooks. You could dual-boot between Windows and Linux, but installing and learning a new operating system on the same computer puts your Windows/QuickBooks data at risk if you make a serious mistake. Frequent Windows backups to protect your data would be (is always) a good idea.

maybe I'm looking at the wrong version/edition
I found this hidden away it took a while to find originally..
Client computers
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 21.0

Linux Database Server Manager is supported on the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the following distributions:

• Fedora 32
  • OpenSuse Leap 15.2
  • Red Hat Enterprise 7 (RHEL 8)
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 20.0

Linux Database Server Manager is supported on the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the following distributions:

• Fedora 29
  • OpenSuse Leap 15.0
  • Red Hat Enterprise 7 (RHEL 7)
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 19.0

• Fedora 27
  • OpenSuse 42.3
  • Red Hat Enterprise 7 (Update 4)
QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise 18.0

• Fedora 25
  • OpenSuse 42.2
  • Red Hat Enterprise 7 (Update 3)
I know its server management but its all i could find for linux
Bwiz

Thank you so much for the input. I can keep the QB on a separate laptop that has limited web access and later get my accountant to convert. A friend built me an accounting program for an old version of Redhat. I will venture in that direction. You guys are GREAT!

Thank you so much for the input. I can keep the QB on a separate laptop that has limited web access and later get my accountant to convert. A friend built me an accounting program for an old version of Redhat. I will venture in that direction. You guys are GREAT!
so kind!
if you wish to continue down the Linux rout for one of your machines . if over 8 yrs old let us know the make & model or the machine spec so we can offer more suggestions,
Bwiz

Members online

Latest posts