Looking for archiving software that can do no compression and output to multiple files of certain size [SOLVED]

Halvor Raknes

Reaction score
Credits
I have a couple of apps that can be used from the file manager which do have the option of archiving to multiple files of certain size, engrampa being one. The issue is that these compress by default. As I am archiving a directory structure of media files containing more than 50 GB compressing the archive takes an inordinate amount of time (I have a 9 year old laptop) for little reduction of size. I have found this page, "How to Split Large ‘tar’ Archive into Multiple Files of Certain Size", which does what I am looking for except it does it from the command line. This is a little bit more complicated than what I feel comfortable attempting. I will, though, if nobody can point me to a graphical software which can do it.

Can someone point out an app which can do the job? Preferably in one operation rather than first creating the tar file and then splitting it up.

Archive manager AKA File roller will do the job.

To speed things up you can choose avoid encryption by not adding a password. Also you can use dconf to affect the level of compression. Personally I have used the combination of bash and gzip to script up an archive in the distant past. You may have to use the command line to get the results you want.

Attachments

• dconf.gif
    dconf.gif
    58.1 KB · Views: 172
  • selection.gif
    selection.gif
    130.5 KB · Views: 177
Yes, I tried going the command line route using tar and split and I managed!

Good job! Lots of folks have issues with tar in the terminal. Once learned, it's a handy tool.

Members online

Latest posts