lost password

cintsa47

Reaction score
Credits
It has been 2 years since I used my computer which has Linux loaded in order to run EMC 2. The problem is I cannot remember the user name or password.
Is there some way I can retrieve this information? I think the system is Linux 4.9.03 rt amd64

Which GNU/Linux distribution are you running?

Last edited:
When you see the Grub menu you should see a grub entry telling you what it is going to boot.
Just reset the root password and from the same location you find out what your username is by looking in /etc/passwd (look for your familiar username) or you can just do ls /home and then using passwd to reset your user's password.

Last edited:
@f33dm3bits means simply which Linux operating system i.e name of Distro are you running is it straight Debian or a derivative like ubuntu or Mint and if possible to release, i think your quoting the kernel ;hes been really respectful to call it gnu/Linux in a nod to Richard Stallman etal buts thats another story. Also are you taking a user password you forgot or root password?

if its root one way is to boot from a live OS for which you obviously know the user/root passwords.

basics are:

from liveOS make a dir :

sudo mkdir recover // at appropriate location probably mnt

mount your partition on pc , where main install is lets say it /dev/sda3
sudo mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/recover
sudo chown /mnt/recover

sudo passwd root

Last edited:
When the system starts up it asks for user name and then password. I have tried numerous variations of all the user name and passwords I can remember but have been unsuccessful.

Please read what I posted in post #6.

I have tried the suggested method but get as far as new password and the system does not allow any input from the keyboard. when you hit enter it goes to retype password and again does not allow any input.

You can also try booting from the installation media and then:
1. Select Advanced options
2. Graphical Rescue mode
3. Select Language, Select Location, Select locale, Select keymap
4. Enter hostname, leave domain blank.
5. Select the partition on which you have your root partition and click on continue.
6. Select yes if you want to mount boot on a separate location.
7. Select the top option: Execute a shell (followed by the location of where your root partition is) and click continue again.
6. Find your user: ls /home
7. Reset your user password: passwd username

Just reinstall your OS or from live USB another OS get your files, save them somewhere and then reinstall OS.

Members online