Low Disk Space on Ubuntu 20.04.3LTS

DreAy

Reaction score
Credits
Hello all,

I am a newbie to Linux and would appreciate your help with the low disk space message, i have a windows machine and installed Ubuntu on VM.

I did df -h to get an idea of what could be taking up space, screenshot below.

1643650220029.png

Thanks in advance

Looks like you only allocated about 10GBs for Ubuntu double that would have been better 10GBs is bare minimum for VM
which leaves no room for much else
/dev/sda5 is 9.3 GBs you are using 8.4Gbs 96% full

Adding to the above...

In VirtualBox, make the VDI larger. Then boot the VM to a live instance that has GParted. In that VM, use GParted to actually make use of the extra disk space you provided in the first step.

The first step can be a bit confusing but I have an old image that I took for someone else recently:

Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager_001.png

Looks like you only allocated about 10GBs for Ubuntu double that would have been better 10GBs is bare minimum for VM
which leaves no room for much else
/dev/sda5 is 9.3 GBs you are using 8.4Gbs 96% full
Many thanks for the tip, i did double the size but still got the error message after i restarted my VM and powered Ubuntu

Adding to the above...

In VirtualBox, make the VDI larger. Then boot the VM to a live instance that has GParted. In that VM, use GParted to actually make use of the extra disk space you provided in the first step.

The first step can be a bit confusing but I have an old image that I took for someone else recently:

View attachment 11642
Thanks for the screenshot, i wouldn't have had a clue on what to do. So i did some YouTube search on the gpart option but stumbled into something else (to increase the disk space via terminal). I accidentally deleted my partition in the process and now struck on "grab rescue". The twist now is i have found the hidden partition with "set" command, "insmod normal" command is giving me an error -> "no such partition".. Sorry to bombard you with more questions

Last edited:
Thanks for the screenshot, i wouldn't have had a clue on what to do. So i did some YouTube search on the gpart option but stumbled into something else (to increase the disk space via terminal). I accidentally deleted my partition in the process and now struck on "grab rescue". The twist now is i have found the hidden partition with "set" command, "insmod normal" command is giving me an error -> "no such partition".. Sorry to bombard you with more questions

LOL Do you have any important data in this virtual machine?

And, next time, make the VDI bigger (as in the screen) and then just use GParted, GNOME Disks, or KDE Partition Manager. All are nice GUIs that you use from a live instance. So, during the boot you'd press F12 to select boot order and then C for CDROM (having picked the chosen Linux .iso to mount).

LOL Do you have any important data in this virtual machine?

And, next time, make the VDI bigger (as in the screen) and then just use GParted, GNOME Disks, or KDE Partition Manager. All are nice GUIs that you use from a live instance. So, during the boot you'd press F12 to select boot order and then C for CDROM (having picked the chosen Linux .iso to mount).
Novice mistake I'll admit, no I don't have any important data on it. I only set it up so i can practice on the kernel. I guess it might be easier to remove and reinstall Ubuntu on the VM.

Yeah, just wipe it and start anew. Start with plenty of disk space, like 20 GB should be enough. Depending on your RAM, you might only want to let it consume 4 GB, maybe as low as 2 should you have less than 16 GB of RAM.

There's no sense in messing around if there's nothing important. Just rebuild it - and make sure to use the whole disk during the installation process.

Yeah, just wipe it and start anew. Start with plenty of disk space, like 20 GB should be enough. Depending on your RAM, you might only want to let it consume 4 GB, maybe as low as 2 should you have less than 16 GB of RAM.

There's no sense in messing around if there's nothing important. Just rebuild it - and make sure to use the whole disk during the installation process.
Thanks!

Members online