Low Profile Video Card?

V

Videodrome

I'm thinking of getting a video card if I see any good deals around Christmas. I happen to be curious about GP on GPU so I would be curious about getting a card with that feature. Probably Nvidia CUDA? I'm just interested in studying the advantages of GPGPU for applications or security tests with Kali Linux. I would also like something with HDMI output that can handle mid-range games. It doesn't have to be a top high end card. I would happy if I could handle games like Heroes of Newerth, DOTA, or Air Mech.

The computer is a 64 bit slim case low profile form factor eMachine desktop with an EL1852G-52w Motherboard and 3.06 Ghz dual-core CPU. I have one open x16 PCI Express x16 slot.

I have a few concerns since I haven't really dealt with video cards in Linux. I wondered how much of a hassle drivers and compatibility may be. What's the deal with Nouveau?

Also, should I be concerned about my power supply being spread to thin from trying to add a video card?

I don't know of any good slim graphics cards at the moment. Slim and High Performance don't exactly go hand-in-hand.

It has gotten so easy to install Nvidia drivers that normally you just point and click.

Yeah I don"t expect to ever play the latest and greatest games, but maybe some decent RTS or MOBA games.

I also have a side interest seeing if I can use GPGPU to add performance to some application like clamAV or Blender for example.

Anyway, its good to hear support is there for Nvidia. It seems like in the past there was a generic Linux driver that conflicted with it and had to be blacklisted.

Otherwise, I've heard mixed opinions about low profile power supies having enough Watts for adding a video card.

Yeah I don"t expect to ever play the latest and greatest games, but maybe some decent RTS or MOBA games.

I also have a side interest seeing if I can use GPGPU to add performance to some application like clamAV or Blender for example.

Anyway, its good to hear support is there for Nvidia. It seems like in the past there was a generic Linux driver that conflicted with it and had to be blacklisted.

Otherwise, I've heard mixed opinions about low profile power supies having enough Watts for adding a video card.
Nouveau used to (and sometimes still does) conflict with the Nvidia proprietary driver. I have not had to black list it directly for a few years now.

This is tough. I think this machine has a specific proprietary Power Supply of only 220 watts.

I'm hoping I can find a low profile and low power card.

Members online