Low sys requirements distro

L

Lou

Hello, I'm running UBUNTU on an old Compaq with a Celeron 2.7 GHz and 512MB DDR sdram box with on-board video. I only use it for hosting a Teamspeak 3 server and some old game servers. Ubuntu will no longer update/upgrade on my system due to new-higher system requirements.

What would be a good distro to install on this box so I can continue to use security updates without upgrading my hardware?

Thanks,

Lou

antiX is difficult or impossible to beat in the Debian-derived world for old hardware such as yours. You'll stand to learn a thing or two, as well.

I'm a fan no longer for 'buntus.

It depends, If you experienced with linux, maybe you can try arch linux? It's ideal for this situation, but if you cant handle CLI, thats fine. I would not recommend lubuntu, as its not the most lightweight solution, I recommend Elementary os, its fast stable, and actually surprisingly good looking considering how light it is. If you really want to go lubuntu, that's up to you, and there is nothing wrong with that choice, but in my opinion elementary will work better. And if neither of those are working for you, try running just a basic WM instead of a full DE, an easy to use, lightweight example is Openbox, on either lubuntu or elementary the command should be: apt-get install openbox.

Both Lubuntu and ElementaryOS are Ubuntu variations.

ElementaryOS Minimum System Requirements

• 1 GHz x86 processor
  • 512MB of system memory (RAM)
  • 5GB of disk space
  • Graphics card and display capable of at least 1024x768

Lubuntu System Requirements

A Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM is probably a bottom-line configuration that may yield slow yet usable system with a reduced lubuntu desktop.

Try Puppy Linux.
From the website "People have succeeded in running Puppy with a 333MHz CPU and 64MB. However having 256MB RAM and a 512MB swap file is more realistic."

Members online

Latest posts