lubuntu 16.10 won't recognize wifi, hardwired internet not available

Dustin Gonzalez

Reaction score
Credits
I just installed lubuntu 16.10, replacing the previous Ubuntu 16.04 installation (which in turn replaced Windows XP). I'm running a Gateway MA3 with an AMD Turion 64 CPU @ 2GHz, and 1GB of DDR2 RAM. My NIC is a Broadcom BCM 4311 802.11b/g WLAN (14e4:4311).

With my previous Ubuntu installation, it wouldn't recognize it, either. But I had found a Terminal solution that worked like a charm after downloading the specified packages on a Windows 10 laptop and transferring by USB. The commands used were:

sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter_015-9_i386.tar.deb
tar xfvj broadcom-wl-5.100.138.tar.bz2
sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware/broadcom-wl-5.100.138/linux/wl_apsta.o
sudo modprobe b43

I attempted this with the new lubuntu installation, but it won't work. I get a different output after the third command, kind of like a help message. Then the modprobe returns an error on the location of the b43 file. I tried redoing the third command with the directory it showed me, but I got the same error on modprobe.

I can't hardwire a connection, so I'm not sure what to do to get my WiFi working on it. Help?

Welcome to the forum!

Can you type in the error output you're getting? I know it'll be a pain since there's no internet on it, but it'll greatly increase the odds of figuring it out.

Rob

A little later, I'll try it again and take video of it with my phone. Not sure how much that will help, but I can try it. I guess I could also try to pipe the output of everything to a txt file and post that. Which do you think would be easier?

A little later, I'll try it again and take video of it with my phone. Not sure how much that will help, but I can try it. I guess I could also try to pipe the output of everything to a txt file and post that. Which do you think would be easier?
Yeah you could even just copy/paste it all into a txt file

Hi Dustin, hi all - just passing by and dropped in.

The article linked to by "Max" above (& welcome to you and Dustin) raises a concern in my mind, namely from the OP's OP:

sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter_015-9_i386.tar.deb

I have highlighted the relevant part in a different colour.

From the linked article, and its linked pages, Dustin may have used software designed for Ubuntu 12.04 'Precise Pangolin', whereas he should have used

b43-fwcutter 1:019-3 source package

... which is designed for 16.10 'Yakkety Yak'.

I do not pretend to be an expert in wireless matters, so hope this does not muddy the waters?

Cheers all

Wiz

the dreaded broadcom chips are the bane of my existence. They should just die off.

100% Agree, I think it is just a terrible hoax.

So I am lead to understand, but if the user has a limited budget, he may have to work with what he has.

In any event, I have been remiss in not noting the following earlier:

Dustin are you aware that support for the 16.10 series ends 20th July, or is that just with Ubuntu 16.10? If the other 'buntus follow the same schema, then fixing the wireless now is somewhat academic.

You should have the ability within your GUI Updates applet the option to upgrade to 17.04 Zesty Zapus, which is supported until January 2018, and I would either take that, or else dial back to 16.04 Xenial Xerus LTS, which has support until 2021.

Note too, that you can test your wireless connectivity from the Live environment (stick or disk) before you install, and that might best be served by using a medium on which Persistence has been enabled if you wish to use it again.

Cheers

Wizard

I have two laptops with broadcom wifi drivers and I used this page to get my wifi running: https://askubuntu.com/questions/55868/installing-broadcom-wireless-drivers
The description is lengthy so use a mental filter when reading it. I think it covers most cases. I skip everything down to:
1. Knowing what Broadcom Wireless Card you have
and then I follow carefully the instructions in paragraphs 1, 2 and 3.

If that doesn't solve your problem there are additional recipes on that page. Keep us informed of both failure and success.

Staff online