Lubuntu 20.04 How install CDEMU ?

aug7744

Reaction score
Credits
Hello.
I have installed cdemu ppa using sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cdemu/ppa and apt-get update.
Trying sudo apt-get install cdemu or sudo apt-get install gcdemu cdemu-client both not work displaying message not being possible find package with both names.
How install CDEMU in Lubuntu ? Have any other method ?
Thanks for reply.

It most likely means that the ppa doesn’t have a build available for whatever version of lubuntu you’re using.

The range of builds available in any given ppa can vary wildly, depending on how active the projects are and whether the maintainers have added builds for newer *buntu versions, or backported it to work with older *buntu versions.

Though from taking a look at that ppa, they have builds for a LOT of versions of Ubuntu.

So it looks like there should be a build available. Which version of lubuntu are you using?! And which version of Ubuntu is it based on?

Also, when you ran apt-get update - did you remember to do it as root, via sudo? If not, your package list won’t have updated. That would certainly cause apt to fail to find a package!!

Another thing you could try is:
apt search —names-only cdemu that will list any packages with cdemu in the title.

Lubuntu 20.04 64 bits.
"apt search —names-only cdemu" was used and result with nothing.
Is possible install cdemu for Ubuntu previous version ?

Sorry - I didn't notice the version in the title of the post! :/
OK, version 20.04 - which is code-named "Focal fossa".

From taking a quick look at the ppa here:

The ppa has focal builds available of the following packages:
cdemu-client, cdemu-daemon, gcdemu, image-analyzer and libmirage.

Are you sure that add-apt-repository worked properly?
Try running the commands again:
Bash:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cdemu/ppa
sudo apt update

Then you should be able to install the packages you want using:
Bash:
sudo apt install cdemu-client cdemu-daemon gcdemu
Or whatever packages you're after!

As far as I can see that should all work.
Unfortunately I'm on Debian, so I'm unable to test the ppa for you. ppa's are more of an Ubuntu thing.
One of the others here might have a *buntu 20.04 installed and may be able to double check it.

But if going through that process again doesn't work - open up /etc/apt/sources.list in a terminal text editor (as root):
e.g.
Bash:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
I'm a vim user myself, but I've used nano in the above example because it's installed by default on the *buntu's and many ordinary users prefer it... Again - use whatever you prefer!

With the file open in your preferred editor - add the following lines (if they aren't there already!):
Bash:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/cdemu/ppa/ubuntu focal main 
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/cdemu/ppa/ubuntu focal main

Save the file and exit your editor and then run the commands:
Bash:
sudo apt update
sudo apt install {whatever packages you need}

If the ppa is already in your sources.list and you're still not seeing the packages - I don't really know what to suggest. Because there are definitely builds available for focal.

The only other option I can think of, as a last resort would be to clone their git repo and then build and install from source:

But that could be a long and arduous process, especially if you're not used to building and installing software from source. Because you'd need to download and install all of the tools and libraries needed to build the cdemu programs.

Is possible install cdemu for Ubuntu previous version ?

No, that wouldn't be a good idea. A build for a previous version of Ubuntu could rely on older versions of system libraries. That could potentially cause more problems than it solves.

Your best option is to try running through the ppa instructions again. If that doesn't work, manually edit /etc/apt/sources.list and try again.
And if all else fails - cloning from github and building/installing from source is your last resort.

Hello.
Not see an CDEMU for Lubuntu 20.04.
Have details in Linux that create difficulties to use.
Hey about your user image .. you use any DAW ? If yes is good DAW ?
Thanks very much.

Hey about your user image .. you use any DAW ? If yes is good DAW ?
Thanks very much.

On my last laptop, I had a home recording setup running on Debian, using Ardour - which is like a free-software clone of pro-tools. I used to use it for composing and demoing songs for my bands.

And yes. As completely free DAW's go, it's great - it's a fully featured, free DAW. Perfect for a home recording setup. You can get really good results out of it.

On my old laptop, I used to use Ardour with:
- A small, Pro-tools mbox-2 mini USB-audio interface for connecting a microphone or a guitar line-out. Surprisingly - the Linux kernel has built-in drivers for the Pro-tools mbox2.
- A small 2-channel midi interface for physically connecting to my electronic drum kit, to record live(-ish) drums and a keyboard.
- JACK (Jacks Audio Connection Kit) for routing audio and MIDI between hardware and software/applications.
- Various JACK plugins
- Guitarix (virtual guitar amp)
- A few native Linux VST plugins for synths and things
- Hydrogen (software drum machine for programmed drums)

I used to record all of the tracks separately into Ardour and then did any editing and mixing inside Ardour.

Unfortunately my old laptop died some years ago. I haven't had the time or energy to sit down and set it all back up on my current laptop. But it was a very useful home recording setup. Great for demoing song ideas.