Lubuntu doesn't find the wireless on my Lenovo laptop.

• Thread starter Deleted member 151145
  • Start date
A little side note. When checking email earlier I noticed I had finally been approved over on the LXLE forum. I immediately logged in and asked specific questions about the current status of LXLE and also about the future. We'll see how long it takes to get a response. I'll try and remember to let you know if I get something back.

A little side note. When checking email earlier I noticed I had finally been approved over on the LXLE forum. I immediately logged in and asked specific questions about the current status of LXLE and also about the future. We'll see how long it takes to get a response. I'll try and remember to let you know if I get something back.
Super Duper. :cool:

Was there something specific about Devuan that you guys didn't like? If something really stands out as a reason to NOT use it, I'd appreciate seeing what it was. Considering my lack of understanding of the inner workings of Linux and my lack of skill on the command line, if something really stands out it would be a great help to me if I knew before spending time on it.
Can't think of a thing Devuan is nothing more than Debian with systemd removed. It works well.

I can't remember the exact problem but it didn't work on 2 out of 3 test rigs [I did report it]

Can't think of a thing Devuan is nothing more than Debian with systemd removed. It works well.
That's kind of the way I saw it. It loads up Live easier and is a little less complicated than Debian, at least the way I see it. It seems to be really resource stingy with XFCE as the DE. I have no idea if that is due to having no systemd or not. I've never even tried to get Debian installed with XFCE so I don't know how much more or less system resources either one uses. It looks like I'll not be headed out to the garage to work on mowers today. I'm waiting on a phone call that requires me to be here in the house when it comes. Might be a really good time to get Devuan installed on one laptop. I've decided to to a complete backup of all data on that laptop to a flash drive so I'll be ready to create whatever partitions Devuan requires. It seems that my normal drive partitioning doesn't agree with several distros I've played with. Not knowing what Devuan is going to insist on having means I'd best be ready to do a complete re-partitioning of the drive.

I can't remember the exact problem but it didn't work on 2 out of 3 test rigs [I did report it]
Ouch! I hate to see that. That'll probably be my luck, as well. These Lenovos seem to cause certain distros to flop when trying to get them installed. If I recall, none of the Gentoo family of distros play nice with these Lenovos.

Ouch! I hate to see that.
That was about a year ago, they may have fixed it, but I have not re-tried it [mine was on 2 Acers]

You might ask 'em if they plan on maintaining LXDE.
Oh, you can bet I'll be asking that along with several other specific questions about the distro and about the forum. I have NOT ruled LXLE out as my distro of choice. I'm just leery of it until I know that they plan on maintaining it for at least the near future. I can't see bailing on Mint XFCE until I know I have some distro that works on my hardware, is relatively easy for me to tweak and use, and will be maintained and supported for the foreseeable future. I can more than likely get answers to problems that arise on this forum, but if any distro I think I'm going to use that doesn't have a forum with at least a little activity will probably be nixed. I see that as a sign that the distro isn't popular enough to have any type of following, That's usually because the distro isn't being maintained and improved. Now, that's just my opinion, but it's usually right.

WattOS is one of those. I really liked the distro. The problem is that it hadn't been updated for several years until just recently. The forum is nearly dead except they switched from their old forum to some goofy place called "Discord". I signed up for an account, but every time I try and login it makes me do an email verification. Then, when I click the link in the email to do the verification, it tells me it needs to verify again, but this time it wants to send a text message for verification. I tried ONLY ONCE to do the full verification using my phone and as soon as I did, it told me an email had been sent with a link to verify. Guess, what! As soon as I clicked on that verification link it popped up and told me they needed to send me a text message. I complained about the whole Discord thing and explained what I had been through. Somebody chimed in and told me I must be doing something wrong. Then a couple other guys responded that they, too, had experienced the same, exact thing. That thread went completely dead. To be sure things on Discord haven't changed, I just tried to login. Below is what I received. Same old crap. I might be wrong, but I refuse to have to use a phone to verify a forum account for a Linux distribution that is used ON COMPUTERS AND NOT PHONES. Just my two cents worth.

Screenshot_2023-01-06_13-33-03.png

Screenshot_2023-01-06_13-33-22.png

That was about a year ago, they may have fixed it, but I have not re-tried it [mine was on 2 Acers]
Well, as soon as I post this, I'll be starting the backup process and then the installation to see how I get along. I'll post back later with the results.

These Lenovos seem to cause certain distros to flop when trying to get them installed. If I recall, none of the Gentoo family of distros play nice with these Lenovos.
Sometimes switching the BIOS from UEFI to Legacy works really well

WattOS is one of those. I really liked the distro. The problem is that it hadn't been updated for several years until just recently. The forum is nearly dead except they switched from their old forum to some goofy place called "Discord". I signed up for an account, but every time I try and login it makes me do an email verification. Then, when I click the link in the email to do the verification, it tells me it needs to verify again, but this time it wants to send a text message for verification. I tried ONLY ONCE to do the full verification using my phone and as soon as I did, it told me an email had been sent with a link to verify. Guess, what! As soon as I clicked on that verification link it popped up and told me they needed to send me a text message. I complained about the whole Discord thing and explained what I had been through. Somebody chimed in and told me I must be doing something wrong. Then a couple other guys responded that they, too, had experienced the same, exact thing. That thread went completely dead. To be sure things on Discord haven't changed, I just tried to login. Below is what I received. Same old crap. I might be wrong, but I refuse to have to use a phone to verify a forum account for a Linux distribution that is used ON COMPUTERS AND NOT PHONES. Just my two cents worth.
You should be able to use the Google-Authenticator app instead of having to verify with your phone, there should be an option to use that instead of your phone. You install the app on your phone, then scan a Qr-code then. Then you can tap on the app on discord entree and it will show you a temporary number, enter that number and login.

Sometimes switching the BIOS from UEFI to Legacy works really well
That is the only way I have run my laptops. I have never used UEFI, at all. I keep saying it. I'm a real dinosaur. I have never used UEFI, never used a flash drive to either boot live or install from, I go out of my way to either buy a laptop with an existing optical drive or purchase one to install. I strip a ton of what I consider garbage out of my installs like Compiz. I just don't see the need for everything that is "popular" in computing. I can still recall when the "in thing" was to have a whirling cube on the desktop and when you clicked on one of the choices on the cube all sorts of video wizardry took place before the program was open and ready to use. All of that is just lost on me. I even remove the Whisker Menu and put the plain, old Applications Menu in it's place. I just about make my desktop look like the original Windows 95, just plain Jane. All I need is for the programs I use to launch. Other that that, I don't see the need for all the bells and whistles. If something comes around that will force me to use UEFI, you guys can bet that I'll be asking questions on here. I know nothing about using it. I barely know what it is and what it is supposed to be for. LOL!

Oh, in case anybody is wondering, I'm sitting here waiting for all my data to be written to my flash drive in preparation for the install of Devuan. I had forgotten just how many "how to" videos I now have on my shop computer. I think I have a video for every conceivable problem a small engine can develop. LOL! I still can't believe how much the small engine industry has changed in the years since I last had my shop open. Unreal. The biggest problem I've run into so far is the cheap, Chinese import crap that has flooded the American market. Right now I have a fairly good looking push mower up on the bench. It a "Pulsar". I need a carburetor and the front axle rod assembly. I searched the 'net high and low for a place to buy parts. I found NONE. I contacted the company direct and was told that they don't have any parts dealers anywhere in North America. They are in Canada. I asked them about getting parts from them and was told they "consider parts requests and a case to case basis". No kidding. So far, they have agreed to sell me the carb, but I don't yet have a decision on the front axle. Without it, there is no need for the carb. It's weird. What is amazing to me is that Lowe's, Menard's, and Walmart (to name just a few) sell these things everyday. I'd hate to think just how many of them have been sold and the poor customer has no idea that he'll never be able to get parts to fix it when it breaks.

You should be able to use the Google-Authenticator app instead of having to verify with your phone, there should be an option to use that instead of your phone. You install the app on your phone, then scan a Qr-code then. Then you can tap on the app on discord entree and it will show you a temporary number, enter that number and login.
Well, that is where the real problem arises. When I get a new phone, I strip everything out of it. It's a phone. Period. I use it to make/receive phone calls. I do a few texts, but not very many. The camera is disabled, along with every other thing I can't uninstall. It's a phone, not a computer. If I want to do computer type things, I use a computer, not a 2.5" wide by 3.5" tall mini screen that would require me to use two pairs of glasses to read.

I also avoid ANYTHING google or google related. I value my privacy more than that. I had never had a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media account until I just created a Facebook page for my small engine biz. I only have it because too many people spend 100% of their time on Facebook and never visit a regular website anymore. I could try every imaginable trick to get people to visit my small engine repair website and MIGHT get 4 or 5 visitors. I create a stupid Facebook page and within a month over three hundred people have visited it. What does that say about the state of our society? But, like I have said several times, I am a dinosaur and just won't buckle to all that smartphone, google crap. LOL! I'll also say that if even THIS site ever demands smartphone verification I'll be gone that same day. I'd say in the last 4 to6 months, I have left at least 6 or 7 forums for implementing such a thing. We even changed banks because they wanted us to do ALL of our banking online. No way!

I also avoid ANYTHING google or google related. I value my privacy more than that. I had never had a Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or any other social media account until I just created a Facebook page for my small engine biz. I only have it because too many people spend 100% of their time on Facebook and never visit a regular website anymore. I could try every imaginable trick to get people to visit my small engine repair website and MIGHT get 4 or 5 visitors. I create a stupid Facebook page and within a month over three hundred people have visited it. What does that say about the state of our society? But, like I have said several times, I am a dinosaur and just won't buckle to all that smartphone, google crap. LOL! I'll also say that if even THIS site ever demands smartphone verification I'll be gone that same day. I'd say in the last 4 to6 months, I have left at least 6 or 7 forums for implementing such a thing. We even changed banks because they wanted us to do ALL of our banking online. No way!
Let me put it this way authentication apps are purely for what they are called, which is having a second factor for authentication. If you use single factor authentication on important accounts, there is a high chance it will be brute-forced sometime. First-factor is your memorized password, second factor is a randomly generated code based on time. You may be a dinosaur but Two/Multi-factor authentication improves the security of an online account.
You can also use FreeOTP.

Last edited:
devuan....Nah...for me it is just the overdone image it portrays.

Part of the reason I love Linux mint so much...it is simple. no fuss, no bother. It works out of the box on just about everything.

It is extremely capable.

Last edited:
Let me put it this way authentication apps are purely for what they are called, which is having a second factor for authentication. If you use single factor authentication on important accounts, there is a high chance it will be brute-forced sometime. First-factor is your memorized password, second factor is a randomly generated code based on time. You may be a dinosaur but Two/Multi-factor authentication improves the security of an online account.
You can also use FreeOTP.
That may very well be. I don't doubt what you say is true. I just absolutely refuse to have a cell phone in one hand while I login to an account on my laptop with the other hand. If an email verification is required,,,,, once in a while,,,,, I can live with it. And just like the phone, if I have to have my email account open to login to a forum every time I want to visit, I'm done. Security is one thing, but having to use a cell phone and/or my email account EVERY time I want to login is just too much. I'm about to the point where I'm ready to just chuck computers and smartphones all together. I somehow managed to live a great life without either of these digital devices. I'm sure I can easily revert to that way of living. I'm a whole lot happier out in the garage, working on a small engine than I am with computers anymore.

I find it baffling that none of my online email accounts have EVER requested any form of two factor verification, yet my email has NEVER been hacked. To the best of my knowledge none of the email services I use have been hacked in the last year or two. One had a problem about two years ago, but I was never required to submit to all the extra verification to remedy that problem. They had a small glitch on their servers that allowed several thousand email accounts to POSSIBLY have had data stolen. Apparently my address wasn't among the ones that were compromised. Either that or the data wasn't actually stolen.

Regardless, I'm just not prepared to submit to all the extra verification steps. If I am no longer able to visit any forums, then that's the way it will have to be.

devuan....Nah...for me it is just the overdone image it portrays.

Part of the reason I love Linux mint so much...it is simple. no fuss, no bother. It works out of the box on just about everything.

It is extremely capable.

I am not so fussed about ram usage....as long as the pc works and does what I ask it to do....I am happy. In the bigger picture, the amount of ram i use in any given day is miniscule.

On the small engine front....why do you need a carburettor?.....this appears to be a fairly conventional 4 stroke ohv machine with a metal carb. What is it doing....or better still what is it not doing ?....does it have compression?...be sure to remove the spark plug lead when you spin the bladeholder to establish the presence of compression or otherwise.
Well, Devuan is installed, configured, tweaked, and all my data is back in place. Nothing to the install process. Just follow the directions and go. I played around with it for quite a while, visiting several places on the 'Net, opening and paying with both Gimp and LibreOffice write. I watched the RAM usage and so far it is more resource conscious than Mint.

As for the engine needing a carb, it's a mower that the previous owner let sit for a couple of years with half a tank of E15 unleaded in it. All ethanol gasolines, even those only 10% or 15% ethanol, have a real bad habit of attracting moisture. The ethanol itself has moisture in it from the refinery and when left to sit for long periods the moisture trapped in the mixture eats away at the inside of a carb. Because it sat so long a lot of the passageways are blocked with thick, heavy varnish. There is no way I can successfully clean it. I no longer have my boiling tank so all I have at my disposal is carb cleaner and some very fine wire. As for compression, this one has a decompression bump on the cam. Getting a true compression reading is next to impossible. Yes, I can do it, but with what I give for these mowers and what I'm able to resell them for, spending that kind of time and effort isn't reasonable. And you'd be amazed how how little compression is really needed for a small 4 stroke to run. Forget what the book says, these engines will run on a lot less compression that what the "specs" call for. They might not be performing quite as well as they can, but they will run and do the job.

Last edited by a moderator:
If an email verification is required,,,,, once in a while,,,,, I can live with it.

Email verification should pretty much always be required. It's 'double opt-in', meaning you opted to sign up and opted to confirm the subscription/whatever. That prevents a whole lot of spam and give site owners evidence for when someone later complains and tries to say they didn't sign up for it.

I'm strict with it.

Next, you may want a phone for 2FA - that's two factor authentication. When you login, they send a code to your phone. This means it's most likely you - or someone else has both your password and phone, which means you have bigger problems than signing into a website. Some do a code to email, which is what I prefer for 2FA.

That's just good security.

Security is, who you are, something you have, and something you know... Well, good security is... We don't do much of the 'who you are' online, but you're starting to see it in phones - where you're showing who you are with a fingerprint, which could also be considered something you have but that'd be the phone more or less in that case.

We all clamor about bad security, but we don't really like to implement it.

That may very well be. I don't doubt what you say is true. I just absolutely refuse to have a cell phone in one hand while I login to an account on my laptop with the other hand. If an email verification is required,,,,, once in a while,,,,, I can live with it. And just like the phone, if I have to have my email account open to login to a forum every time I want to visit, I'm done. Security is one thing, but having to use a cell phone and/or my email account EVERY time I want to login is just too much. I'm about to the point where I'm ready to just chuck computers and smartphones all together. I somehow managed to live a great life without either of these digital devices. I'm sure I can easily revert to that way of living. I'm a whole lot happier out in the garage, working on a small engine than I am with computers anymore.

I find it baffling that none of my online email accounts have EVER requested any form of two factor verification, yet my email has NEVER been hacked. To the best of my knowledge none of the email services I use have been hacked in the last year or two. One had a problem about two years ago, but I was never required to submit to all the extra verification to remedy that problem. They had a small glitch on their servers that allowed several thousand email accounts to POSSIBLY have had data stolen. Apparently my address wasn't among the ones that were compromised. Either that or the data wasn't actually stolen.

Regardless, I'm just not prepared to submit to all the extra verification steps. If I am no longer able to visit any forums, then that's the way it will have to be.
My word choice wasn't very good, it should have been higher chance that your account will be brute-forced or phissed.
Let me give you several examples.

1. I once made a temporary Gmail account with a strong random generated password and didn't put two-factor authentication on it and it got hacked at one point since they changed my password.

2. I decided to make Twitter account to get updates for the sport I follow from the different teams, I didn't put on two-factor authentication. I used a strong randomly generated password. Eventually I couldn't get into my account again because my account had been disabled by twitter because of having seen suspicious activity on my account. That sure wasn't me.

3. At my work on a regular basis people would get their email accounts comprised, causing their accounts to send loads of spam into the world which then caused or mailservers to get blacklisted on different blacklist for sending spam. After we enforced two-factor authentication on the accounts it hasn't been a problem since, I do have to say are companies are more likely to be targeted for targeted phishing attacks.

4. Important: We did not send an email asking for donations - scam alert (This could have been prevented by having used two-factor authentication on an admin account).

Why do you think two/multi-factor authentication is being promoted by companies and governments?

Last edited:

Members online