lxde vs xfce

darry1966

Reaction score
Credits
Been using xfce on latest Refracta 64bit system and I reckon xfce uses less ram am I right or do you think otherwise ??

LXDE definitely uses less RAM than xfce.
1593990513732.png
EDIT: apparently, this info is little dated (see below)

Last edited:
Which DE do you like the most?

I'm running Mate on Debian 10 and XFCE on Linux Mint.
Never tried LXQT:-

I like XFCE most as it's light and fast.

Which DE do you like the most? . . .
I'm running either no DE (IceWM or Openbox) or LXQT, of late. Can do without a DE, myself.

@darry1966 -- tried to install Devuan Beowulf on my D630, but it installed neither software nor a boot loader (tried at least four times each). Wanted LXQT. Miyo ran fine with just a WM.

BTW, good informative links re: xfce,mate,lxde. LXDE was once my favorite, but don't use anymore. XFCE I found frustrating re: panel. Anyway, I updated the info in my internal database (brain) and added to mental RAM (can lose it at any moment) -- LOL!

Currently PCLOS Openbox on one laptop, have to update hardware on the D630, it appears, but has Salix64 xfce on it at the moment.

@sp331yi Funny you should say that about DE I have been trying been trying fvwm and must say it is pretty light.
With regards to Devuan Beowulf I have advoided as I had same trouble with bootloader as they have changed how bootloader procedure is executed - it is done in a chroot. I installed the Refracta Beowulf instead for the reason that the broken su problem is solved in that. The only way I could get bootloader to work was to use grub repair from MXLinux.

Pleased you had success with Miyo.

Well still using this 64bit Devuan Chimaera which is the equivalent of Debian Unstable.

I have played around with different DE's and desktops XFCE and LXDE and come to the conclusion yes you are right sp331yi about LXDE it is definately leaner so have chosen it.

FVWM is nice as a DE. Thanks everyone who contributed to this thread.

Cool. Glad to help and for your success.

BTW, may you keep us updated on the 'unstable' Devuan? I've used a few Unstable Debian distros and learned a lot from them while enjoying the 'cutting edge' software programs. This, prior to systemd.

Last edited:
I keep reading here and there that LXDE desktopp is outdated and not much development or support anymore something to do with GTK+3 which is why the switch to LXQT.

Members online