macbook pro 13 mid 2009 reinstall

Noofthab

Reaction score
Credits
I had installed Mint onto my Mac and it worked OK but after an update Mint would not even load. Thought I would strip the Mac of its OS and go completely with Linux. I watched some videos and it looked easy enough. Would not work. I then tried to remove Linux by removing the partition and Disk Utility did not work as it should. My question is what to do now? What is the best distribution for a MacBook Pro 13, mid 2009? I am not a sophisticated user and mainly use social media, Youtube and SketchUp for drafting. In the future I may try CNC and 3D printing. I do want to remove Apple OS completely as presently it's unsupported and I tend to use it a crutch.

Without knowing what your Mac's specifications it makes it very challenging to recommend a distro.

Is your Mac a 32-bit or 64-bit machine?
What GPU and CPU do you have in that Mac?

Your Mac is 11 years old.
Having said that: perhaps Mint was too heavy and you need a more light weight distro. We won't know for sure till you can show us the spec's on that machine.

Last night I managed to remove the partition that I made for Mint and installed Ubuntu, removing all of the Mac OS. It seems to be working great. There are a few things that are a bit fiddly though. The pad does not respond as it did on the Mac and the DVD player doesn't work. It may be broken but I don't know how to test it.
As far as the spec's go, they are:
memory 7.5 GiB
processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53 GHz x 2
graphics NVAC
disk capacity 1.0 TB

OS Name Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
OS type 64-bit
GNOME Version 3.36.8
Windowing System X 11

I chose this distro because the only Youtube video that shows how to install linux onto a MacBook used this OS. His computer was a bit newer at 2012. If this OS is fine, I'll carry on using it. If there is something better that you recommend I'm not adverse to changing it.

Last night I managed to remove the partition that I made for Mint and installed Ubuntu, removing all of the Mac OS. It seems to be working great. There are a few things that are a bit fiddly though. The pad does not respond as it did on the Mac and the DVD player doesn't work. It may be broken but I don't know how to test it.
As far as the spec's go, they are:
memory 7.5 GiB
processor Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53 GHz x 2
graphics NVAC
disk capacity 1.0 TB

OS Name Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS
OS type 64-bit
GNOME Version 3.36.8
Windowing System X 11

I chose this distro because the only Youtube video that shows how to install linux onto a MacBook used this OS. His computer was a bit newer at 2012. If this OS is fine, I'll carry on using it. If there is something better that you recommend I'm not adverse to changing it.
If your installation went well and it's working good for you I wouldn't change anything.

Sorry to hear that the DVD player doesn't work.
Maybe try a music CD and see if it plays.

Enjoy the holiday.

Members online

Latest posts