Social media isn't the worst on the internet.

To be fair, not every single person on social media is egocentric or narcissistic. If anything, those who are surprisingly make up a small percentage, but because their behavior causes ripple effects, the amount of them appears worse than it actually is.

I like to put myself with better like minded people. Like the people in this website everyone is just cool.

One thing that is concerning is how these social platforms and technologies entrain and rewire our neural pathways.
They literally hijack the dopamine system. As one social media expert put it "a race to the bottom of the brain stem"!
Elon musk once said in an interview that these technologies seek to gain "limbic resonance" with our brains.

Think about that for a second....... computer programs designed to illicit responses from us by hacking our limbic system and learning what internet content or social media content triggers us emtionally and physically to make us interect and spend more time on these platforms and technologies......

.....that is truly terrifying to me! lol

Noway anything online is going to subconsciously influence me to be online if I'm not wanting to or needing to be online.

There ain't nothing scary about the internet as long as I have an OFF switch on my Modem and Router.

You can catch me on instagram@ xz31nordx all my car stuff lol!
The only social media I do because people leave you alone and its all car guy related on for me.

The suicide rate would increase 90% if people couldn't live on Facebook.
Facebook and Instagram are bad for the population's mental health, people only post about what makes the grass seem greener on the other side. I deleted my facebook account 7 years ago or so, my life became better after that.

Agree with you 100% on this one. I done the same. And very much happier without that @@@@ in my life.
It is bad for; and especially if you already suffer with mental health, it just heightens it further I say.

Facebook is just for the Boasting, the Nosey, and the rest in between.

Facebook and Instagram are bad for the population's mental health, people only post about what makes the grass seem greener on the other side. I deleted my facebook account 7 years ago or so, my life became better after that.

It's been so long since I deleted mine that I'm trying to remember when I did so. I was either in my very late teens or in my very early 20's at the time. Even though I was on other platforms here and there afterwards, not being on social media at all has made me procrastinate significantly less now.

I've noticed we're all getting side-tracked by talking about the side effects of social media (and yes, even I contributed to that), and while it's one aspect of this thread, it's not the main focus of it. I'm going to try to get us back on topic.

Is there anyone else who can see themselves implementing the suggestions I or @gvisoc made?

I've never used social media so don't know what I'm missing. From what people have told me, it's not much. Ditched using a smartphone a few years back and find a cheap burner phone good enough when out and about. Would be interested in a smartphone running mainstream Linux when they reach maturity though.

I've noticed we're all getting side-tracked by talking about the side effects of social media (and yes, even I contributed to that), and while it's one aspect of this thread, it's not the main focus of it. I'm going to try to get us back on topic.

Is there anyone else who can see themselves implementing the suggestions I or @gvisoc made?
yes i will probably give web surfing a try from the command line, im already off social media (although i still have an account which i see as a photo storage rather than scial platform! lol) i will try commandline for web browsing more for learning reasons i enjoy learning about the commandline and how linux works in general. I may consider setting up my own basic web page and use a raspberry pi as a server...maybe

For everyone that already have an account on Facebook , Google etc and wish to stop use the services, I suggest not to delete the accounts, just stop using them, slowly ghost your gmail and never mention it again. By deleting your accounts you just lose access to your data but the data stay there forever, they not gonna forget you

For everyone that already have an account on Facebook , Google etc and wish to stop use the services, I suggest not to delete the accounts, just stop using them, slowly ghost your gmail and never mention it again. By deleting your accounts you just lose access to your data but the data stay there forever, they not gonna forget you
yeah thats great advice!

Members online

Latest posts