Manage Repos in Debian with a GUI.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This one actually sorta comes from here. I saw a question about the cdrom repo entry in Debian's default configuration. They were happily helped, but had to do so in the terminal. I love working in the terminal, but not everyone does.

They'll still have to undo the cdrom bit for this in the terminal - and I make a few assumptions.

Mange Debian Repositories with a GUI.

So, the idea for the article kinda came from here. That's one of the reasons I love the feedback y'all give me.

''like'' is not sufficient so: Thank you

Glad ya like it.

There's a link in the upper right (on the page) where folks can write their own articles and other ways folks can contribute. Right now, I manage to push out an article every other day. I have accumulated a whole lot of notes over the years and this is me putting some of them online, among other things. This one article was inspired by a post here.

My next 'big one' should be my tips for beginners. That one will take a while to write so I've not even started on it.

They'll still have to undo the cdrom bit for this in the terminal - and I make a few assumptions.
Synaptic can do that too. The article suggestion might work in Gnome or XFCE, that "software & updates" GUI is not in every DE, as far as I know, while every DE does have a terminal. :)

I'm not following.

Software & Updates isn't installed (necessarily) so this article tells them how to install it. I tell them how to install it via the terminal. Maybe you misread or I'm not getting what you're saying?

This one actually sorta comes from here. I saw a question about the cdrom repo entry in Debian's default configuration. They were happily helped, but had to do so in the terminal. I love working in the terminal, but not everyone does.

Mange Debian Repositories with a GUI.

So, the idea for the article kinda came from here. That's one of the reasons I love the feedback y'all give me.
You need to install the following
Code:
sudo apt install software-properties-gtk
and
Code:
sudo apt install synaptic
the software-properties-gtk is used to access the repos and updates, the synaptic package manager is used to install packages and when those are installed you usually do not need the terminal to update your sources list from debian/buntu only if you want to install something from outside their repos or install software or packages you can search for them in synaptic and install them that way

The synaptic isn't required (for this article's purpose). It's merely about dealing with repos (and getting rid of the cdrom entry).

I gotta remember to hit the like button. I forget that.

I'm not following.

Software & Updates isn't installed (necessarily) so this article tells them how to install it. I tell them how to install it via the terminal. Maybe you misread or I'm not getting what you're saying?
My bad. Sorry, I didn't read the whole thing, I thought the article just suggested that GUI could be used, if available, which it is, to the best of my knowledge, in Gnome and XFCE by default(Xubuntu, Linux Lite, Fedora, Debian) or at least it was last time I used them.

Sorry, I didn't read the whole thing,

It's all good. It's in all the Ubuntu flavors (as memory serves) by default. This one just has you get rid of the cdrom entry and add software-properties-gtk so that you can use a GUI to manage repos. I just do short articles that cover a few small things. I had to make that decision at the start of the project, as I really didn't want it to turn into a book.

Though I am thinking of making it an updated PDF every few months so folks can download the whole thing for offline browsing.

By the way, Stacer can do that too https://github.com/oguzhaninan/Stacer, and for those in KDE Plasma , Discover is your tool https://apps.kde.org/en_GB/discover. :) Also, some distros do provide their own tool; MX-Linux has Repo-Manager https://github.com/MX-Linux/mx-repo-manager, Linux Lite has Lite sources https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/software.html#litesources, OpenSuse has Yast https://yast.opensuse.org/, KaOS, Manjaro, Chakra and a few other Arch based distros have Octopi https://octopiproject.wordpress.com/about/ .

Last edited:
KDE's Apper is something I keep seeing pop up in conversations. I wonder if it's getting to be more popular.

KDE's Apper is something I keep seeing pop up in conversations. I wonder if it's getting to be more popular.

Yeah, I've seen it too but never tried it, besides

gUuWdzM.png

So, if you try to install Apper by hitting that green Install on Linux button, you need Discover installed, which doesn't make any sense to me, given both tools do pretty much the same thing ... Unless, you don't like Discover, so you install Apper via Discover and then uninstall Discover using Apper... whaaaaaaaatttt???? lol

you need Discover installed

Now that I am in modernity and have 20.04 installed, I have Discover. I should revisit those kind of links to see if they actually work.

Curiously, I also have Muon package manager installed. There's some overlap, but only one of them does snaps. So, Lubuntu has them both.

I don't actually ever install apps via the software manager GUI. If it's a .deb based system then I use the terminal or GDEBI. Otherwise, I just use the terminal. I already know what software I want to install, so using the GUI isn't required.

I don't actually ever install apps via the software manager GUI. If it's a .deb based system then I use the terminal or GDEBI.
Neither do I, even though in Q4OS 4, based in Debian Testing, discover is installed by default, it's not in Q4OS 3, based in Stable, in fact, the one thing I love about this distro is the desktop profiler tool, you can choose to install a minimal, basic or full profile, I chose minimal, so I can add my own apps later.
t8W6My2.png

By choosing minimal, I get Plasma plus a few apps; konsole, dolphin and Konqueror, or at least that is the case in Stable/Q4OS 3, now Discover gets installed too in Testing/Q4OS 4, then I add the apps I usually use. :)

By choosing minimal,

I much prefer a minimal install - with most everything. I don't use most of the default installed apps. I have no need for them.

I keep them installed in case I want to do some supporting of other people, or out of inertia. It's nice to have the full install when you try to help people who have the full install.

As much as I prefer the minimal install, I don't often get to use it except in VMs for playing/testing.

Gnome-packagekit
Description: Graphical distribution neutral package manager for GNOME
PackageKit allows performing simple software management tasks over a DBus
interface e.g. refreshing the cache, updating, installing and removing
software packages or searching for multimedia codecs and file handlers.
This package contains a GTK+ based application for package installation
and removal, an application to view system updates, a simple
repository editor
and PackageKit configuration tool and a viewer for
package installation history.

The drawback to software-properties-gtk is it installs unattended-upgrades. Which isn't a problem if you are running Debian Stable, but could be on Testing or Unstable.

A nice little package: package-update-indicator
Description: Notify about available software updates
This small utility which regularly checks for software updates and notifies
the user about available updates using desktop notifications and either
a status notifier icon or a system tray icon.

It is primarily intended for desktops which do not already have this
functionality built-in, such as Xfce.

Great article as usual. Thank you.

Members online