master branch of linux-stable not tracking release candidates?

C

chijo

The main kernel site has 2 branches at the top: mainline and stable. Due to stupid restrictions on this forum, I cannot link to the Linux kernel site on the Linux forums so this'll have to do. Bah.

As you can see by clicking the "browse" links, the torvalds repository has a release tag v4.1-rc3 but the stable repository still carries v4.1-rc2 even though it's been more than 48 hours.

So my question is: when do new versions land in linux-stable and what's the best repository to follow stable releases and/or candidates? I'd like to live on the edge and run release candidates directly from the git repository, but not the master branch from torvalds because that's too buggy at times.

Thank you very much.

Hey, restrictions are not stupid, it is made to prevent spam I guess:confused:.

There is rc3 already available.

https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html

After each mainline kernel is released, it is considered "stable." Any bug fixes for a stable kernel are backported from the mainline tree and applied by a designated stable kernel maintainer. There are usually only a few bugfix kernel releases until next mainline kernel becomes available -- unless it is designated a "longterm maintenance kernel." Stable kernel updates are released on as-needed basis, usually 2-3 a month.

Members online