mental well being and coping strategies

But you got it -- that's what's important.
Carl Jung and Emmet Fox are inexorably tied to AA. . . and you mentioned both, including a snarky comment, So you asked for it.
Won't bring it up again unless implied and apropos.
I do
hope life is getting more tolerable for all involved here.

if there was something taken as snarky it was not intentional . Its just that the AA involvment of Emmet Fox doesn't interest me; every thing else he has written does.

So be it.
I do believe that you will find Carl Jung's concept of the Collective Unconscious intriguing. Especially since sharing with @Rachmani3652 how unsettling to you a bout with the subconsious via hypnotherapy was in another thread.
Best wishes!

I wonder if you two are really serious about self-examination.

I can only speak for myself, and I might ask if you are familiar with the expression "Don't tell your grandmother how to suck eggs"?

My 8 Mental Health Disorders are all

Familial - that is, from my parents and grandparents

Incurable

Lifelong and

Manageable, under medication and coping strategies

Had my first mental breakdown 33 years ago, and the last 19 years ago.

I eat, sleep and crap self-examination.

Friday here in Oz, so

Avagudweegend

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

So be it.
I do believe that you will find Carl Jung's concept of the Collective Unconscious intriguing. Especially since sharing with @Rachmani3652 how unsettling to you a bout with the subconsious via hypnotherapy was in another thread.
Best wishes!
hypnotherapy for me was about 17 years ago; if the person is "ready" and in the right hands of a competent clinical hypnotherapist it can do wonders and "solve" issues. yes solve- how simply by dealing in a controlled way what comes up under supervision of a professional. When i say ready , i mean the person has to be at a stage when they are truly willing to acknowledge the stuff that comes up, previously hidden and suppressed. It takes a few weeks and during that time its unsettling. Afterwards everything calms and there is a +ve conclusion.

In a state of being truly ready is probably incongruous with denial ?

I eat, sleep and crap self-examination.
Ha ha!

For the conditions that can not be changed there may be also emotional baggage due to what was experienced , maybe in earlier life due to the condition.

IN other words say a child can not easily communicate, lets say due to an inherited condition. When they get older they will still have that inherited condition, but they will also have hurt and baggage due to the way other children treated them due to that condition when they were a child.
Negative emotional experiences may be suppressed and hidden but like an iceberg have influence and may surface from time to time. When i said to @Rachmani3652 about knowledge this is what i mean. I an talk credibly about the subject of hypnotherapy because I've been through hypnotherapy and experienced cathartic releases during sessions.

I then read up on belief systems and did a de-brief on myself to understand how that changed me. The therapist also took it gently and also expressed their knowledge along the way !

So be it.
Best wishes!
I read it - yes there is obviously inbuilt innate behavior ; thats plain to see bees, ants etc and must play a part in us. Interestingly new age thinkers talk about "tapping" into an entity they describe as a "collective intelligence"

@wizardfromoz -- touche! I've got a tough skin, so bring it on! Good to hear from you and @captain-sensible !

@(the latter) -- Yes, I have encountered New Agers through the years. In the experiences I've had with but several of them and their beliefs and practices, something ancient (like the Native American sweat bath) is adopted with a perverting twist and then called New. However, as I have found with religions, one cannot 'throw the baby out with the bath water' since wisdom comes in many shapes, forms and sizes. So I must be cautios in stating such things.

A new perspective could, even if this happens seldomly, prove to be useful to our modern thought processes, which themselves have been perverted through time. An awareness that we modern humans know so very little can be called nothing but humbling. From one ancient source I draw from and I'll paraphrase it -- "Act justly, Love mercy and Walk humbly . . ." It's a KISS thing for me.

KISS seen that quoted a lot with slackware being "keep it simple stupid" ? I prefer gino d'acampo philosophy "minimum effort maximum satisfaction" which has served me well with slackware .

KISS seen that quoted a lot with slackware being "keep it simple stupid" ? I prefer gino d'acampo philosophy "minimum effort maximum satisfaction" which has served me well with slackware .
Yeah -- read his bio and found it intriguing. Went to jail (or should I say gaol?) for a couple years, I see. Successful bloke, though. Not much difference in the end result of either KISS or the chef's philosophy, except the former is more generally applied, whereas the latter is more individual-oriented. To each his own.

Off to see the MD and the Dentist. May have to pay both the Chiropractor and the Shrink a visit while I' at it=> LOL on the latter, at least!

May your day be blessed!

when i get minute will post some things that might actually help.

one thing you have to consider is yourself and interaction with your immediate universe. This can have an impact on your well being eg wake up to glorious sunshine or raining cats and dogs.

But its not that simple due to the way we are wired ; in fact what you see and gets to your brain is filtered. In words there is an element that what your looking at is some map of the territory you part created.

So there is an element of what you experience is orchestrated by yourself. What about other people ? Well again what you perceive is influenced by your state. Basically then you can't just accept things around you as reality.

It can get very like being surrounded by a bunch of hippies whilst meditating on your navel if your not careful.

There are a couple of truths : being in a low mental state is debilitating and it has been shown by nerd PhD guys that your physical strength is less when your in a low mood. being in a constructive mood is usually helpful.

Taking a pragmatic anything that helps is useful that would include anything that lossens you up mentally to be open that for instance the acceptance of a belief is not quite right ; maybe that person didn't state i'm a waste of space and so on.

Last edited:
Mind, Body and Spirit all work together and the better in balance, the healthier the Human Being.
Many neglect the last one out of innate stubbornness and cannot comprehend why they suffer/ are unable to cope/don't feel satisfied.

so here is something i will throw in. Its called a "thought record" the use of it is to get you to review thoughts, feelings and events.

I will give you an example ; post discharge from hospital my wife felt neglected with zero after care. She tended to veer to taking it personally .

So her record would be :
Code:
event :                discharged from hospital and no after care
-ve thought :         i must be of low value , nobody has even phoned to see how i'm getting on
-ve feeling :             dip in self esteem
any other way of looking at it: husband intervention: " i've read that those with cancer, are not getting out patient  - its the policy due to corvid 19. Same must be the situation with you!

subsequent new thought of wife: its not personal then . Just the current situation and how it affects after care. Subsequent lift of mood

So basically this gets you to examine events. On here for instance you might take offense with a comment of another user. Its quite possible you mis-interpreted any intention in a comment.

It could also be , you interpreted the comment correctly but the other person may be grouchy not just you but with everyone. i.e Again its not personal

Attachments

• thought_record.png
    thought_record.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
re: thought_record -- very good! All of us could benefit from taking the time to fill one out at least occassionally! Making it a habit/internalizing it is the challenge. I'll add it to my inventory list.

It's our minds that are the crux of the matter 90% of the time, I think (lol -- we can't get away from them without effort and help from the spiritual -- we call it inspiration; we're all guilty of its neglect to one degree or another). Quieting the mind and really examining from whence emotions stem is only possible to most of us with a concerted effort -- AKA "work."

It's our minds that are prone to believing illusions. Interesting you should bring this up -- see my post in the thread "See Bill Gates get pie in the face!" It's more than it appears to be, but then again the rules say 'light-hearted' -- hence the title. Mind-blowing for most, including me.

here is a typical use of diagram it in a real life event that has probably happened to all drivers. On a tight width road I saw a car approaching, so i pulled into a space to make way for the on coming car. As the driver passed he wound down his window and exclaimed "your a ;) ' er ( substitute I for a) So i thought what happened my guess is he flashed his lights for me to go and i missed it. Anyway if your susceptible a comment like that can drop your mode a peg or two. I then thought back to a time when I called somebody a ;)'er and could recall i was in a bad mood over something. My conclusion was that the event and comment was all about him really and not me.
Result i could just let it go and move on. Sometimes we can hold onto -ve thoughts for ages. So the main box to mull over is the " is there another way to look at things, than my first knee jerk reaction. "

re: thought_record -- very good! All of us could benefit from taking the time to fill one out at least occassionally! Making it a habit/internalizing it is the challenge. I'll add it to my inventory list.

It's our minds that are the crux of the matter 90% of the time, I think (lol -- we can't get away from them without effort and help from the spiritual -- we call it inspiration; we're all guilty of its neglect to one degree or another). Quieting the mind and really examining from whence emotions stem is only possible to most of us with a concerted effort -- AKA "work."

It's our minds that are prone to believing illusions. Interesting you should bring this up -- see my post in the thread "See Bill Gates get pie in the face!" It's more than it appears to be, but then again the rules say 'light-hearted' -- hence the title. Mind-blowing for most, including me.
yes i read that and would have liked to have asked your Dad " could you elaborate a little more on what you mean by , the world is not as it seems?"

Man's society is too often his 'world' to the exclusion of the so-called natural world (of which we are made and upon which we depend for sustenance). The world of Money, Power, Influence. It can be called the enemy of Earth. That is what he was referring to. Take the time to study the entire video link included -- it will clarify his meaning, I believe.

Members online