Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut, has died at 90

• Thread starter Deleted member 101831
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 101831

R.I.P. Michael Collens. :(

Farewell, Starman. Farewell.

Hmm... Now that I'm home again, a tune:

A long, long time ago, back in my academic days, I got to work (indirectly) on a satellite. I got to help with the mathematics involved on a satellite that measures the Earth's gravitational fluctuations. For having worked on it, it was a grad project, I got to go into 'clean room' to see the completed project and got to go see it launched into orbit. No, I did not receive any other compensation for it. Welcome to academia. Grad students are a source of cheap/free labor.

Technically, there were two satellites. The second was a backup and one that they could use to experiment/replicate circumstances on while the first was in orbit. I'm pretty sure it's still in orbit but I think it (and a couple others) has been replaced by the GRACE and GRACE FO satellites.

That's the closest I've come to space. I hope that commercial space flight is a reality before I am too old to take the trip. I don't need to go up there for long. Just a quick visit so that I can snap a few pics and say I've done it will be enough.

On that note, I think Starship SN15 may launch tomorrow. I've been watching for a launch for a while now, but we've had a set of successful static fires and other signs that a launch is imminent. However, there are a few things missing currently (e.g. Boca Chica residents haven't received an evacuation notice yet).

Come on, 90 is a good age and he had a good long life. There are people that have died at a younger age especially this last year with the corona pandemic. Although I never heard of this person being an Astronaut on the Apollo missions, thank you for your service to mankind!

Last edited:
@f33dm3bits

Its possible that he was the most private of all 3 men, which might explain why you never heard of him being on the Apollo Missions

I think that may be old enough to be out of copyright, so I'm just gonna post a reminder that links to pirate copyrighted material are generally considered to be a bad thing here. Verne's work should be out of copyright by now.

@KGIII He died in 1905, so all of his works would be in the public domain worldwide. Also, the English translation was published before 1926, so that too is in the public domain (at least in the US).

Yeah, I figured it was out of copyright. We've had some issues with copyrighted material in the past so it was a good time to post a reminder. That specific work is just fine.

Here's a downloadable PDF version of the book.

"Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon"

If this is against Linux.org forum rules or policies than remove this post or let me know and I will remove it.

Here's an audiobook version if you prefer.

Members online

Latest posts