Microsoft Brings Defender Antivirus for Linux, Coming Soon for Android and iOS

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Almost within a year after releasing Microsoft Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) for macOS computers, Microsoft today announced a public preview of its antivirus software for various Linux distributions, including Ubuntu, RHEL, CentOS and Debian.

If this news hasn't gotten you excited yet...

Microsoft is also planning to soon release Defender ATP anti-malware apps for smartphones and other devices running Google's Android and Apple's iOS mobile operating systems

We know our customers' environments are complex and heterogeneous. Providing comprehensive protection across multiple platforms through a single solution and streamlined view is more important than ever," the company said.

"Next week at the RSA Conference, we'll provide a preview of our investments in mobile threat defense with the work we're doing to bring our solutions to Android and iOS."

I am sure you might have heard this many times that 'Linux doesn't need antivirus software,' but this is not the case anymore.

READ ON

Sadly, Microsoft defender is absolutely useless and does not detect any threats, I know from my previous experience with Windows. The only thing it is truly capable of is blocking any unsigned EXE, creating frustration from having to disable the AV and redownload said EXE.

Agree.And when it comes to Linux, why? An antivirus, in Linux, is a waste of CPU cycles. Yes, it is possible to catch malware, but those come from NOT keeping the kernel and apps updated, and NOT practicing sane computing practices.

I am sure you might have heard this many times that 'Linux doesn't need antivirus software,' but this is not the case anymore.
Nor do we need M$ getting into Linux!

So is there going to be a apt.microsoft.com cydia repository?
ha, Microsoft isn't going anywhere in iOS!

Defender is an app that tracks user activities. windows analyzes user data in all aspects. Then it makes the most contribution to global follow-up like NSA. The result: America sees everything and is satisfied.

Installing Defender on a free platform like Linux is the same as putting a trojan horse in the system!

Defender is an app that tracks user activities. windows analyzes user data in all aspects. Then it makes the most contribution to global follow-up like NSA. The result: America sees everything and is satisfied.

Installing Defender on a free platform like Linux is the same as putting a trojan horse in the system!

Agree. Windows defender is very difficult to turn off and it consumes lots of CPU, up to 80% sometimes.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't trust MS. They have a way of befriending companies, injecting their propriatary code into it, then forcing them into being bought out or sued to death. I know that was under the old MS boys club and Satya didn't come from that, but I still don't trust them. And who needs MS in Linux anyway? With the exception of a few apps and some games, we have everything we need/want without MS.

Leave Linux be.
Linux is fine as it is.

This is one Linux user who doesn't want to see Linux become the home user base desktop and if that happens Linux will become polluted and of no advantage over other OSs

Garbage. Defender can not protect itself I do not recommend anyone .ClamAV already exists for Linux. Ideal for malware detection.

ClamAV already exists for Linux. Ideal for malware detection.
ClamWin Antivirus was my choice when I was using Windows XP and Windows Vista and it was A-OK as an on demand virus scanner.

I guess it has its place in Linux to scan questionable files from Windows users prior to being downloaded.

Hmm antivirus software on Linux just don't sound right. o_O:confused:

Members online

Latest posts