Mid 2015 MacBook Air Linux Installation Wifi issues

@bromax
Now back to the mint driver problem, I need to make sure I am looking at the right Wi-Fi, can you open the mint laptop, in the terminal type inxi -N [space between i & -], you're looking for the Wi-Fi it should be similar to this
Device-2: Realtek RTL8187 Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: rtl8187
but I am expecting it to say something like Broadcom 43xx wireless adapter Driver not installed
the bit in red is what I need you to confirm what yours says,
[if I have the right one, I may have found a back door way to fix it]

Last edited:

Thank you Bwiz.
Device-1: Broadcom and subsidiaries BCM4360 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter.
Driver: bcma-pci-bridge

OK, so this is NOT the proper way to install the drivers, but it should work…
You need a clean pen drive [an old one will do ]but it must be empty of files and re-formatted the FATS [you can re-format using the mint USB formatter. Open menu, go all applications, scroll down to ward the bottom, and you will find it]
you require any computer with a spare USB port and internet connection.
Put the clean USB into the internet connected computer
open browser and go to https://packages.debian.org/sid/i386/b43-fwcutter/download
select North America HTTP [second one down] and click on
you will now get the download box, select save then save to choose the USB
when it's downloaded put it into the other machine, wait for it to be recognised on the desktop then double click the icon, it should start to install automatically, if not right-click and select open with Debbi package installer and enter

Sorry max
This was my last throw at it, [you need internet to install the dependencies].
So back to can you borrow a wired internet connection, or a mobile data connection for half an hour whilst you re-install [make sure you tick the box to install non-free/propriotry drivers [non-free doesn't mean you have to pay anything, just the rights are owned by the manufacturer] or just the drivers from the driver manager

Get a USB to Ethernet adapter. Get a USB wifi adapter that works with Linux. Tether your phone.

Those are things all Linux users should have at least one of in working condition. Consider them necessary tools.

Thanks brickwizard. Since the installation iso had the driver for the wireless card (it worked Live), I thought there may be a way to point the package manager or software sources to look at the iso on the usb that was plugged in. I couldn't figure it out, but it seemed clear that what was needed was present, but just couldn't be found. I imagine there's a way, but I'm not savvy enough.
And as for my questions about automounting, I was thinking of hot swappable usb drives, which aren't mounting upon insertion. I can manually mount them already, but I thought there has to be an easier way. Thanks again for your help with all this!

Get a USB to Ethernet adapter. Get a USB wifi adapter that works with Linux. Tether your phone.

Those are things all Linux users should have at least one of in working condition. Consider them necessary tools.
And I plan to get a usb ethernet adapter. All the hardware I have (from donations) have had an ethernet port. I don't cherish these antiques, but it's what I've got to work with. =)

And I plan to get a usb ethernet adapter. All the hardware I have (from donations) have had an ethernet port. I don't cherish these antiques, but it's what I've got to work with. =)

Yeah, you gotta work with what you've got to work with. They're under $20 if/when you've got a few bucks to throw at it.

You can try tethering your cell phone (assuming you have one) and that almost always works out of the box - when I've tried it. You can do so long enough to update/upgrade and get drivers installed.

Staff online

Members online